Setting Channel of a Knob/Fader

Discuss problems and solutions.
ipassenger
Setting Channel of a Knob/Fader

Post by ipassenger » 13 Jan 2013 18:12

Is it possible to set the channel of a knob or fader "x" by using a script to change it, e.g. You have another a dial which sets the midi channel and overrides the set midi channel on the x variable within the fader/knob?

I know you can do it using custom midi messages (as you would need one for each fader/knob) but that seems like a long way around it when you could just write a long script that overrides all midi channel settings of your faders/knobs in response to a midi channel dial.

The scripting allows this on a "midi channel" knob):

setattribute(Osc1Semi.x,'channel',q);

Where q is a factored value of x, to scale the signal to 1 to 16, osc1semi is the knob i want to be able to control the midi channel of but it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks

Ross

ipassenger

Re: Setting Channel of a Knob/Fader

Post by ipassenger » 13 Jan 2013 18:18

Ahh i see you can write anything between the quotes and it accepts it, so obviously channel is not actually doing anything.

Any other ways of doing this? It seems pretty straight forward.

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 14 Jan 2013 00:53

You cant set the midi channel with the 'attribute' script because the midi channel setting for objects (actually all the mapping settings) are not included in available attributes. For the same reasons, you cant for example change the CC number an object transmits to, and all these sorts of things.

Provided that custom midi out would not have bi-directional feedback (from application back into Lemur communication) I'd say you would be better off creating identical knobs/faders with different midi channel settings (as desired) and then use scripts - show(object, state) where 0 is hidden, 1 is visible - to show-hide them. Of course if you want this functionality for a lot of faders/knobs its a lot of duplicate objects. You may also consider putting them all in containers and hide-show containers instead (if you want all the objects to send to identical channel).....

...off the top of my head!

ipassenger

Post by ipassenger » 14 Jan 2013 18:18

Thanks for that, not thought of that approach. :)

Cheers. :D