West (Reaktor) programmer

Post your Lemur Projects.
Macciza
Regular
Re: West (Reaktor) programmer

Post by Macciza » 13 Nov 2014 02:47

Ok
Yep have run into some init issues...
Probably linked to order of evaluation of stuff etc, something not initialised in time...
Will explore further for a good solution ...

Having lots of canvases uses a lot of space- 80 individual canvas sliders = over 50% , 80 in 10 canvases < 10%
Cheers
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 13 Nov 2014 06:14

hm, must also have an eye on space.

Regarding init/onLoad I was thinking of a delayed load command. A canvas_refresh(c) only a few frames later, or half a second. That should work. Going to test that soon.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 14 Nov 2014 02:59

Ok, I think I have it sorted . .
Following the previous thought of it being a timing issue in terms of the vars, a known an documented issue I applied a standard workaround.
In your init() script you need to (re)set those vars to ensure they are properly available to the following script, which makes sense . . .

Heres an edit of your version with some comments and a fully working version using canvas touch input
lever2edit.jzml
Updates
(8.41KiB)Downloaded 529 times
Will finish off and tidy up a multitouch multi slider version . . .

cheers
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 14 Nov 2014 15:16

Macciza wrote: In your init() script you need to (re)set those vars to ensure they are properly available to the following script, which makes sense . . .
I see. Unexpected, because when the init() script is executed, the variable values are there ... just not inside the script. To me it doesn't make sense, but that has not much to say as I have no background in programming. Anyway, it's a working solution, thank you very much for that. Now I can continue testing which version is best for dozens of custom faders. Hope to get a release candidate with good performance and also fixed init() scripts for the custom menus this weekend.

Edit: nice one with getobjectrect[3]. I was thinking about if this could be done, and it can!
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 14 Nov 2014 19:08

now we got a nice custom lever with one Canvas object. 96 of those on an iPad2 give 39 fps. Problem solved I guess.
Macciza wrote: Interesting solution using the slider behind the canvas, but it can also be done natively in canvas without too much drama, again can send you a version if you want . . .
I thought this is simple routine, but I have problems with OSC i/o. Although I remember back it also didn't work with the canvas fader. Expressions don't work, oscout() doesn't work. I realise even more that the Canvas object is different in many aspects. Would be interested in a solution here too. Otherwise I keep the sliders, but I have also a problem to move the lever with slider.x. There are quite some things that are different here, regardless if the canvas is redrawing always or on demand.
lever2edit3.jzml
(4.99KiB)Downloaded 514 times
Edit: hmm, but the LED Canvas objects do receive OSC with an expression. Will have to try more to find out why one is working and the other is not.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 15 Nov 2014 04:51

Yeah
"Methinks there be spiders here . . ." Something unexpected is happening . . .
Will have a look, had tested basic midi mapping and figured o/c would be fine
Did a few quick tests with unexpected results so there may be a bug or feature at play here . .
Will do a few quick edits and send you more soon . .
Cheers

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 16 Nov 2014 00:01

the first original template with only sliders give 21 fps on an iPad2. 20 fps is still enough so I didn't realise that I was already on the edge of performance. That's something that worries me.

Really must find an OSC i/o solution inside canvas (that may even have better performance than MultiSlider objects?). Will experiment tomorrow. Doesn't have to be the final solution. And if the CPU doesn't allow it, I'll stick with the original version without any Canvas objects or maybe only LED's. Fast direct access to the instrument has still priority.

Edit: the LED's alone bring the performance down to 17 fps (iPad2)! Will have to replace them too ... or do all LED's with one single Canvas object ...

Edit2: ok with refresh() scripts and onDemand it goes up to 37 fps. Much better.

Edit3: now OSC i/o in canvas seems to work. I must have done some mistake yesterday, but I don't know which one.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 17 Nov 2014 05:02

Hi
There are a couple of solutions available for the OSC just gotta decide which is the best but will try to send you the different options a bit later...
Yep as much as possible should be On Demand for best performance . . .
Will try to send something later

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 17 Nov 2014 06:00

worked all night on this one, and now it looks not so bad. All LED's, levers and knobs in the template and still around 19 fps on iPad2. Before it was below 10 fps. All canvases are now onDemand. Removed all sliders. No problems with OSC anymore.

Wanted to post the last version, but there is some silly bug with the knobs, I'll try to fix that tomorrow.

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 21 Nov 2014 00:19

here is a work in progress. Not entirely functional, the menus aren't mapped, and the new West// modules aren't fully implemented yet. The knobs seem to work alright now.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F ... file%2czip

The Lemur editor shows 60%. This is the amount of RAM that Lemur will use? I hope it is not an issue. As far as I can see the template works fine, it only takes some time to load.

Please tell me if you cannot download from onedrive. Haven't used that cloud service often yet.