How to make a three state button

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
Diversgens
How to make a three state button

Post by Diversgens » 27 Mar 2012 16:34

Hello,

i'm trying to make a 3 state button for my reaper layout.
For the monitor layout it has the following state: Off, On and Auto and the reaper interpreter only accept 0 and 1 state.
I have try to make a script with custom button or pad and multicolor but it doesn't work.

Here is how it is supposed to work:
1- initial state, button color white
2- send value 1, button turn blue (reaper listen window return 1)
3- send value 1, button turn green (reaper listen window return 1)
4- send value 0, button return to initial state

My problem is between 2 and 3 the button or pad return 0 (off state), i have try a simple script with two state with "if" and one "else" but i only see a flash green state the back to white. Can someone point me to a method or script to solve this problem.
TIA

lABl
Lemur Guru

Re: How to make a three state button

Post by lABl » 12 Apr 2012 09:53

Hi Divergens,

I've created a small example,hope that helps in someway.
Imagen 2.png
Imagen 2.png (5.34KiB)Viewed 4387 times
3StateReaperButton.jzlib
(4.69KiB)Downloaded 243 times
Cheers,
AB

Diversgens

Post by Diversgens » 12 Apr 2012 13:45

Thank you Antonio, it works great. I have to tweak it a bit but it's working now as expect.
In my first attempt to do it i was far away from your solution. It help me to understand how to use the array in a script.
Again thank you.
I'm tweaking a little bit the OSC Lemur layout for Reaper and i will post it in the user library soon.

lABl
Lemur Guru

Post by lABl » 12 Apr 2012 15:19

Great to know that helps!

Sure, mod it to your needs, I am not a reaper user, however it looks cool and has very reasonable price, how is it compared to other daws like Pro tools or logic? Have you used some of these before using reaper? I really am interested to know becuase, it support OSC?

Many thanks in advance!
Antonio

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 12 Apr 2012 17:13

I'm also interested in Reaper. I tried the demos since some time, and after 4.2 it supports OSC. I can use the default Logic template in TouchOSC and receive instrument and effect plugin names and values. No latency at all with a 100 Gbps wireless connection. It's good.

The channel/mixer/plugin arrangement in Reaper is quite simple. Each channel can have MIDI and audio inputs, and can be in mono, stereo, quadro, or any surround configuration. This can be changed later, which makes Reaper very versatile. I'm still a Cubase user, but because I believe OSC is the way to go, I might switch to Reaper. Note and controller values could all transmitted via OSC. We will use OSC together with MIDI for the next couple of years, but I'm sure that the network-based OSC protocol is a better way for all commands. Will take some time until hardware can respond to OSC. Logic is the other DAW with OSC support at the moment, and I like it much, but I have not always Mac's (and Logic) available when I play music. It's mostly Windows machines, so Reaper could be a candidate for live use. Cubase is still good, mixer channels (and other parameters) can be controlled with 14-bit MIDI that matches more or less OSC resolution, and it has some other advantages over Reaper of course.

Besides I'm also grateful for the 3-state button (not tried yet). The PolyKB instrument has 3-state buttons, and I never managed to make them work with BCR2000 or iPad controllers.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

Diversgens

Post by Diversgens » 12 Apr 2012 21:42

I use Reaper in parallel with Live, before that i was using Cubase (until SX2), i can't compare to Logic or Pro Tools that i never use, but i like Reaper the most in regard of the community and the developers. I'm a hobbyist and with a family and a day job i have not a lot of time to make music and i'm probably not the best to talk about one or another DAW.

I must confess i like to discover and beta-test new functions than finishing song :roll:

In regard of OSC, Lemur and Reaper you can try the layout i have done here
I plan to release a new version in the next days with the three state button and little other tweaks.

lABl
Lemur Guru

Post by lABl » 16 Apr 2012 12:20

Phil,Diversgens,

Thanks a lot for your info, sounds well to me.

I have seen you have uploaded a reaper osc layout, so I will check that out with reaper demo (hope it works with the demo mode)

Cheers and thank to both of you again,

Diversgens

Post by Diversgens » 16 Apr 2012 22:52

@Antonio

i will be pleased to read your comments but keep in mind this is my first attempt (the second in reality, i have begin a template for Skanner but didn't find the time to finish it) to make a template.
Feel free to modify it if needed.