read out min and max ranges on separate monitors

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
lewisedwards
Regular
read out min and max ranges on separate monitors

Post by lewisedwards » 15 Mar 2012 20:46

hey folks,

messing more and more with lemur and digging everything. 'gettings downs ands dirtys withs scripts.'
but ran into something i found a bit odd regarding the range object.

i want to read out the min and max range of it in two separate monitors. im scripting the monitors to how im sure you would read out what is happening.

the first one is:-
steprange01.min_height
and the second is
steprange01.max_height

the range slider is called steprange01

but this does not work. i have tried other little things, but nothing seems to work. is this just me doing something wrong, or does this just not work

cheers
lewis edwards
------
smokingbunny.co.uk

Macciza
Regular

Re: read out min and max ranges on separate monitors

Post by Macciza » 16 Mar 2012 02:36

Hi
Umm, looks like it should work - not a scope problem? different containers?
Check your spelling etc. Does the Monitor value script go black when enter the expression?
It seems to work here - Note however that I think these are fixed values
They do not update with change in UI - you simply extract the info from the x vector

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

lewisedwards
Regular

Post by lewisedwards » 16 Mar 2012 08:02

aye all the script goes black, when finished it does fix on some thing like 250 for the min value and i think 750 for the max value.
i also did put them in one container to test whether it was conflicting, but no same thing.
plus spelling seems to be fine, though since converting the dvorak has been a little bit off ;) but i double check anyhow.
but technically this should work accordingly to the script. but i will add this to my personal wish list forum post if this does not happen, it would be good if it does.
lewis edwards
------
smokingbunny.co.uk

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 16 Mar 2012 10:42

Aah
OK - It is working, you just have a different understanding of what they are, hold cursor over edit area for quick help but also re-read the manual . . .
The max_height and min_height are properties when Physics is enabled and refer to the initial resting position of Range boundaries for Physics purposes.
They are not the actual Range variables - they are the x vector , accessed as Range.x[0] and Range.x[1] which is what I think you are looking for
This is the proper operation of these properties and variables, no need to vary this really . .
Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

lewisedwards
Regular

Post by lewisedwards » 16 Mar 2012 20:18

thank you very much for that. great help
lewis edwards
------
smokingbunny.co.uk

lewisedwards
Regular

Post by lewisedwards » 16 Mar 2012 20:31

actually just one more thing to ask regarding monitor.
if i wanted to say, when the min and max is reading out the range values. but i wanted to have values in integers going from 1 to 64. instead of 0.0000 to 1.

would i have to do the scripting in the monitor or range?
lewis edwards
------
smokingbunny.co.uk

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 17 Mar 2012 01:08

Hi
Essentially you can do it in either - for particular reasons with benefits & risks.

I like the idea of implicit values where possible, so I would say get the range sending the values you want,
That way 'RngVal.my_val is always the value I want whether in a monitor or scripting etc
It also depends on your use at the time debugging or integral UI element
Also what the targeted result is expecting. If it is something that is expecting 0-1 and using that to represent 0-64 then I would do the same.
So long as you keep track of what is what you are ok - otherwise you can find yourself chasing silly errors because of mismatched data interpretation

So in your case I would make vars in the Range object then, send and monitor those particular vars . . .

Hope that helps..
MM