Setting the contents of a text object via OSC

Discuss Lemur and share techniques.
ahonoe
Re: Setting the contents of a text object via OSC

Post by ahonoe » 11 Mar 2012 18:53

BTW this works fine when sent to TouchOSC so I'm confident of my IPad's IP. I'm not so certain about Lemur's port though. Is this user configurable?
Regards,

Scott

ahonoe

Post by ahonoe » 11 Mar 2012 19:02

Ok. Just for laughs I tried Diversgens suggestion and created his "content" script. It worked!

Any suggestions as to why this script does work but setting the @content attribute doesn't?
Regards,

Scott

Diversgens

Post by Diversgens » 11 Mar 2012 23:20

The only suggestion is the use of @ that is not part of OSC specification and if the software use @ for his propel purpose it doesn't send it via osc.
This is the case for Reaper, here is an extract from their default file:
# ----------------------------------------------------------------

# OSC is a protocol for sending information between musical devices, over a network.
# Unlike MIDI, which is defined as a stream of bytes with specific meanings, OSC
# messages are human-readable text strings with no predefined meanings. It is
# entirely up to individual musical devices to define what specific messages mean and
# when those messages are sent.

# For two devices to work together (such as REAPER an and OSC control surface
# device), the user must configure one or both devices to send and receive messages
# that have meaning for the other device. This pattern config file is how REAPER
# defines the messages it understands. In order to use REAPER with an OSC device,
# you can either create a custom pattern config file so that REAPER sends and
# receives messages the OSC device understands, or configure the OSC device to send
# and receive messages that REAPER understands, or both.

# For basic information about OSC, see http://opensoundcontrol.org/introduction-osc .

# Each line below is an action description in all caps, followed by a number of OSC
# message patterns. You can add, remove, or change patterns, delete lines, or comment
# out lines by adding '#', but do not change the action descriptions.

# The patterns following the action are the messages that REAPER will send and receive
# to and from the OSC device. An action can have no patterns (and will be ignored),
# one pattern, or many patterns.

# The patterns may contain the wildcard character '@'. (This is REAPER-only, not part
# of the OSC specification.) The '@' wildcard is used to specify the action target.

# ----------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps Axel can clarify the reason why Lemur use '@' to send text to object, but what i see now, is "confusion" between different software.
For general information, i have found the script on Jazzmutant Forum with the same problem exposed http://forum.jazzmutant.com/viewtopic.p ... nt+oscargs

Anyway we have a working solution ....

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 12 Mar 2012 01:53

Hi
In my view it is Reaper that is in error here - by using the @ symbol as a 'wildcard' when they shouldn't . .
Wildcards were defined within OSC 1.0.

But then they say
The '@' wildcard is used to specify the action target.

So lets ignore the mismatch of terminology -'@' = wildcard vs '@' = 'action specifier'
The '@' symbol is a recognised symbol OOP meta-data description for 'attributes', as is ':' which Jamoma uses
It would seem that Reaper is using it in it's own bizarre implementation using @ instead of *

The '@attribute' method does work quite easily with Max and SC, so it is not a Lemur problem as such
It is also possible that Reaper is using an OSC packeting system that is causing problems

Sending /Address @attribute value to Lemur does work . . .

CheersMM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 12 Mar 2012 05:55

Hi
Had a look at Reaper64 and did not see any OSC implementation whatsoever??
Any pointers anyone?? Is it an add-on?

The little bit of info I found on their site suggests that their '@' implementation is only relevant internally to Reaper.

You should still be able to construct outgoing messages using it how ever you like surely . . .

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Diversgens

Post by Diversgens » 12 Mar 2012 13:03

The OSC support is in beta stage at that time you can look here http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37to see actual discussion around it and here http://www.landoleet.org/ to download latest beta.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 12 Mar 2012 15:09

Hi
Reaper has certainly got a strange way of dealing with OSC imho . .
It would be far better if they used standard wildcards rather than their own conflicting system

Not sure that it would be possible to get it to send @attribute style messages
so perhaps using OnOSC scripts would be the best way around it.
Normal parameters, fader control etc can be sorted fairly easily

Cheers
MM

Diversgens

Post by Diversgens » 12 Mar 2012 17:03

Can you try the lemur osc layout i have done for reaper in the Lemur template forum and let me know what you think about it ....
Just a reminder ... i'm not as expert as programmer as you are :?