Ambivalent Beats

Post your Lemur Projects.
kennycampbell
Ambivalent Beats

Post by kennycampbell » 29 Feb 2012 23:59

Hi All,

first post so go easy on me!

I've been toying with getting Lemur for my iPad since I saw it was being released and the new Ambivalent template is pretty much what I'd be using it for.

I have been using LiveControl on my iPad with Ableton and found it an extremely impressive tool, complimenting my APC40 or UC33/Launchpad set up perfectly, especially the sequencer tab.

I've been wanting to get a drum machine/pad type set up for a bit, similar to the Maschine on my iPad but don't have the first clue where to start really, which is why Ambivalent beats causght my eye.

The problem I have is I don't have M4L. Do I need that to use most Lemur templates? Is it possible to have something similar without M4L?

Macciza
Regular

Re: Ambivalent Beats

Post by Macciza » 01 Mar 2012 05:24

Hi
I would totally recommend getting Lemur - it's worth it easily.
I would also recommend getting M4L if you are working a lot with Live.

M4L is needed for Ambivalent Beats and many other projects like Mu,, but is not a prerequisite for Lemur by any means.
Lemur speaks OSC and MIDI and you can do a bloody lot with those two tools without M4L

Look through the Liine library to get an idea of what can be done with what . . .

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

thopa

Post by thopa » 01 Mar 2012 09:30

Very nice, been playing with it last night. Was thinking on modifiying the lemur template; Thinking about adding a slider, this slider will control a pitch midi effect, so instead of 16 sounds you can scroll up / down the drum rack, selecting different sounds. What I like about this template is the simplicity. Did you have any sync issues? It seemed to work more tight if Latency compensation was turned off in Ableton.

nick_liine
Liine Staff

Post by nick_liine » 01 Mar 2012 13:27

thopa wrote:Thinking about adding a slider, this slider will control a pitch midi effect, so instead of 16 sounds you can scroll up / down the drum rack, selecting different sounds.
You can scroll up/down in the Drum Rack with the Offset knob. This knob is in the lower-right corner of the Ambivalent Beats MFL Device. You could assign a Fader from Lemur to control it.

biologik

Post by biologik » 01 Mar 2012 14:07

oooh, that's what offset does? I thought it was a beat offset - didn't try it. Very good to know!

One thing that's strange.. I had to set the OSC port from 0 to 1 for it to work. I thought abelton didn't use OSC? The template works like a charm though!

wurlt01
Regular

Post by wurlt01 » 01 Mar 2012 16:40

I've got to great ideas for this patch is someone can implement
One is to add offset to lemur template
So we can scroll through all 128 drums sounds in drum rack from lemur
And too reflect which note lemur is playing
From the left side buttons

michika

Post by michika » 05 Mar 2012 10:07

Hi,
have a connection Problem with AB. Its only one way. Ab sends osc data to lemur but lemur doesn't sent to AB.
Whats the IP and Port Nr. of the mfl patch? Tried a lot but didn't work.

thx for advice

michika

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 05 Mar 2012 14:29

Hi
Lemurs standard port is 8000 -I think it is hard-wired to listen on 8000
Max usually uses 8000 as its default port which makes things easy.
Set up OSC Target 0 to your computer and port 8000 the M4l patch should point back to the iPad port 8000
Then it should work
Cheers
mm
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

michika

Post by michika » 05 Mar 2012 15:25

thx macciza for your quick reply.
I also thought and tried the standard port for lemur first and many more, then osc1 but I only get a one way connection... means when I hit play in live the light of the fields on the template begin to move.
Pressing a field or shifting a slider in Lemur does nothing. Also drag and drop of jzml doesn't work on my win7 64bit puter. I sent the template with lemur editor to the iPad.

I played with many Lemur templates last weeks and got them all working but this is a hard nut for me. :lol:

michika

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 05 Mar 2012 15:57

Hi
Make sure you have network connection - no firewall blocking port 8000
In M4L Lemur setup hit rescan or enter your iPads address and leave it at 8000
In Lemur set OSC your computer ip and port 8000.
Otherwise settings as I mentioned, hit play in Live, select Drum number on left, program beats from Pads . . .
Sorry - No problems on a Mac
Cheers
MM