Modumat [update 2013]

Post your Lemur Projects.
mat
Regular
Modumat [update 2013]

Post by mat » 16 Sep 2013 16:20

Hey all,

Its been a while since I posted some new tools or add ons…, but now I have found some time to update the “Modumat”, one of my first Lemur modules.

You can download Modumat in the user area http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/59/

“Modumat” does step modulation of Midi Control Change data on up to 16 steps. This can be linked to any function like filters, velocity, pan or whatever. The modulation can be send stepwise (default) or as a continious line (interpolate). There is a range for the output (e.g. if you only want filter to vary between 34 and 56 instead of 0-127) and a range for the used steps (16 is maximum). The new version6 got also a row of random-switches beneath the sliders – if a switch is activated the corresponding slider will get a new random value shortly after it is triggered. This brings in some variation. As you can control the position of random and the amount of output that is still interpreted by a range, I like to call it “controlled random”.

All values can be saved in 15 presets. Saved slots are highlighted. To erase the highlighting press preset 0 and 14 parallel in play mode. This only erases the highlighting, to erase a preset just override it with a new preset.

The output can be routed to any Midichannel and controller number by a drop down menu (sending to Miditarget 0 on Lemur). There is a syncronised version (listening to clock input on Miditarget 0) and a unsynced version. Both using only half the screen, so there is enough space to combine it with a small key or a 2nd modumat on one interfacepage.

Here is a video from early 2009 which shows one of the first versions of Modumat. It does not contain all features (random switches, presets, Midirouting are missing) but it gives an idea how to use the Modumat. http://youtu.be/aOdAlqucKCg

Enjoy :)
Lemur modules and sequencer: http://music-interface.com
Setup: Win7professional 32bit, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,66 GHz.,Tascam US-144MKII, Ableton Live 8.4,
Arturia Analog Lab., Max/Msp, Maxforlive, Lemur Legacy + Ipad, Akai MPK61, Doepfer Pocket Control

electrofux
Regular

Re: Modumat [update 2013]

Post by electrofux » 18 Sep 2013 20:00

Hm the Lemur editor crashes when i open the file.

mat
Regular

Post by mat » 18 Sep 2013 20:48

Hey electrofux, thanks for the feedback.

Strange! But true. Same here.... if I open the file via "open with" Lemur editor crashes.
But if I open the editor first, then import the module, everything is fine.
And (here it becomes even more strange) this behavior is the same with all Lemur modules here :o

Well, I normally open the editor first and import modules like I need them for the project. But from time to time I also used the "open with" and it worked in the past.
However... as this happens to all Lemur modules (could you or anyone else please confirm) it seems to be a general bug of the Lemur software, not of my module. Maybe some corrupt code with the last update?

OK, as long as we don´t know - open editor first, then import the module.

g*mat
Setup: Win7professional 32bit, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,66 GHz.,Tascam US-144MKII, Ableton Live 8.4,
Arturia Analog Lab., Max/Msp, Maxforlive, Lemur Legacy + Ipad, Akai MPK61, Doepfer Pocket Control

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 21 Sep 2013 12:27

It happened to me (the crash) right when I first got the app (so a few earlier versions, definetly before 4)) so I thought that "modules" are supposed to be opened only via the editor itself and that as filetype extension, they shouldnt be configured to be opened directly with Lemur....

Thanks for the module by the way!

mat
Regular

Post by mat » 22 Sep 2013 15:42

Hey Softcore, thanks for feedback.
So to make it clear: module is allright :D
...just some weird bugs of Lemur editor on Windows in common, guess all developers at Liine are on Mac, eh? ;)
Thanks for the module by the way!
you´re welcome. well, wasn´t that big work to add the random switches. But I think they make a good job.

Code was by the way like this (for those into scripting):
(On Expression MIDIClock.steps, any)

Code: Select all

if (Random.x[MIDIClock.steps-1]==1) Envelope.x[MIDIClock.steps-1]=rand();
if ((MIDIClock.steps==Steprange.begin)&&(Random.x[Steprange.end-1]==1)) Envelope.x[Steprange.end-1]=rand();
It sends the random variation to the step before, because if it will send it to the actual step it can produce a glitch in output based on the step jumping to new volume.
If someone wonders about that MIDIClock... it is a little container within the sync version that grabs clockinput of Lemurtarget 0. In common it can be copied to other modules, but in that case you will have to fit some values (e.g. Steplength). So inspection of Modumats sync version can be a start for sequencing...

g*mat