Incorporating LC2 with my own project

Solve problems with help from the Liine team and fellow users.
loopcorporation
Incorporating LC2 with my own project

Post by loopcorporation » 14 Jun 2013 18:05

So I'm getting stuck into LC2 (which I really like) and jamming it together with my current project as there are still some things in that that just work really well for me with my live set up.

Before I get into the laborious task of re-mapping I just want to make sure all the settings are correct so I only have to do it once over.

I know LC2 uses Midi CH1 so I was going to be re-mapping my midi onto midi CH7 & 8 (lucky numbers no other reason) so there is no conflict there and both should work OK together.

In the midi mapping panel in lemur editor should the target be 'midi 0' still or should this go to 'midi 1' to avoid possible conflict with LC2?

Can it also all run through daemon in/out 0 as per settings for LC2 or am I better to send it through daemon in/out 1, again to avoid any conflict?

I have tried lots of different things to try and get this to work but thus far I am unable to get my project stuff working (which did previously work before adding LC2). The LC2 part of the project works no issues at all. Its been that long since I have had to re-map in/outs, daemons, targets, midi etc.its got me well and truly stuck!

I guess what I'm really after in summary is the following:

1) What Object target and target should I use in lemur editor (and midi channel - but I'm assuming anything other than CH1 as stated above)?
2) What daemon in/out should I use if LC2 uses daemon 0 in/out?
3) Correct ableton midi preferences (do I just leave it as per LC2 guidelines or do I need to add further daemon ports - I'm assuming yes if using a different daemon in/out to avoid conflict with LC2)?

If anyone can shed any light that would be great, I have read up on it in the manuel/web etc. but can't seem to fix my issues when I'm sure the answer is very easy.
Macbook Pro 15" 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 10.6.8 - Ableton Live 8/Logic Pro 8 - Legacy Lemur/Dexter - Lemur App (ipad3).
http://www.djandycessford.com

Softcore
Regular

Re: Incorporating LC2 with my own project

Post by Softcore » 14 Jun 2013 19:50

Personally I think the best way is to have a totally seperate target for your own stuff. In fact, I have tried, and I can confirm that if you use a different Daemon target you dont even need to worry about channel conflicts and the reason is simple. Pay attention to the way Live Control 2 is set: as far CC mapping goes (not playing midi notes, only control messages) the "remote" properties in Live are left disabled. What this means is, that by default, Live Control 2 isnt supposed to let you "bypass" the "control surface" mappings with your own ones. If you have ever tampered with other Live-dedicated controllers you must have noticed how "remote" needs to be enabled for any "bypassing", "custom" mapping.

A welcoming by-product of the above situation ("remote" not required by Live Control 2) is that Ableton Live disregards any messages sent by Live Control 2 as far as "custom mappings" go.

Put simply, lets say you have Live Control 2 on target 0 - create a custom interface of your own and add a fader sending some CC on channel 1 BUT make sure you are on target 1. Map that fader to anything you want in Live (of course after having enabled the target 1- midi in associated "remote" function)- even though the fader may have a "common" CC and midi channel with something in LC2, the two wont interfere - target 0 is only treated as a "control surface" (with PY scripting involved), target 1 is treated as a "remote" controller with ytour custom mappings.

The above scenario can be easily tested by momentarily enabling "remote" for the midi input occupied by Live Control 2 - then, you will have the conflict of midi channels.

loopcorporation

Re: Incorporating LC2 with my own project

Post by loopcorporation » 15 Jun 2013 14:48

yeah I was thinking the same in-terms of best to have it all on a separate daemon, far easier. Thanks for the info about how LC2 works, that made total sense and the penny dropped and I have sorted my issues and now on the mapping quest. You advice/info is, as ever, extremely helpful (I have been going through the manual by the way and have learnt so much more, your right again!).

Nice one!
Macbook Pro 15" 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 10.6.8 - Ableton Live 8/Logic Pro 8 - Legacy Lemur/Dexter - Lemur App (ipad3).
http://www.djandycessford.com