Symetrix 606 delay project help

Welcome to the Liine forums. New users are required to post here in order to have access to the rest of the board.
sleeper
Symetrix 606 delay project help

Post by sleeper » 01 Apr 2014 20:28

Hi From Los Angeles,
I've joined up and I've got my Lemur.
Intro: I have a studio in LosAngeles
I have some experience hacking synths and midi... I've been on soundiver since v.1, made a couple of adaptations
I have built a few logic environment I built for my symetrix 606 delay. it's all midi cc numbers.Pretty easy.
I want to make it in Lemur.
I have a good Idea what to do but before I get started there are three things I don't know and I'll be redoing a lot of work if I don't start off correctly.
These are BTW things that will make the module more usable for everyone, i think.
I've searched, but the search "midi channel switch" etc. variations.
There are so many matches and not such a good way to filter.
I'm not coming close to the answer, and I've disassembled a bunch of other modules, but I don't think I'm looking in the right places.
I'm 2/3 RTFM, as well, but I'm getting antsy.
Thanks. now that I've introduced myself,

I'd appreciate any pointers towards solving the following.

The 606 in my setup needs to run on a specific midi channel. mine is 4
rather than assign midi channel 4 to each object,
I want an object that changes the midi channel in every fader, or transforms all of my output to a specific user assigned channel.

my mophodashboard lite seems to do it, but I think thats some deep script,
as I can't seem to find it in the editor, it's accessed through a special setup page.
that's probably too complicated for me.

Something simpler?

some objects need mapping or multiplication of values
i.e. the range of a control should be 7 steps, but the midi values are not 1-7, they are 1 to 127 in steps of about 25
Ideally these moves also change a text fader/label with each value eg. LoPass, Lo Pass2, Band Pass, etc.
I think I need to study interpolating for the objects?

It seems like it should be possible to make a button that can change the state of some faders from linked to unlinked
It's a stereo delay unit, but the 2 sides are independently controlled, sometimes it would be nice to have controls moving together other times not.

I suppose the other solution would be to have separate stereo controls, but I'm not sure how to do that.
Do I put one control on top of another and make one invisible or something? Or is this also done with script.

Thanks
Kelly
Last edited by sleeper on 04 Apr 2014 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

Softcore
Regular

Re: Symetrix 606 dealy project help

Post by Softcore » 02 Apr 2014 11:01

1. two ways to change the midi channel of the object - both though bypass the native mapping system so that means no out-of-the-box bi-directional feedback (although you can script it)

method 1: custom midi...the advantage of it being you can insert a variable as midi channel which you can then alter by another object (fader, pads etc etc)
custom-midi-example.jzml
(5.42KiB)Downloaded 83 times
method 2: strictly scripted output via the syntax ctlout(target, CC, val, ch) - the same advantage applies

2. RTFM about the grid setting of objects like faders etc etc....

3. linking - unlinking objects
check out the beginner scripts - link in my signature
Last edited by Softcore on 02 Apr 2014 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

sleeper

Post by sleeper » 02 Apr 2014 18:22

Hi Softcore,
Thanks that's exactly the idea.
Feedback is not an issue with this box.
In fact, It's always seemed to choke and freak out if there's midi sent in both directions.

I've loaded up the example and I'll work on it.
I'm still not totally clear how the communication is happening, but I'll study those scripting examples and see if I can sort it out.
Thanks again
Kelly

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 02 Apr 2014 20:44

In the provided example.....dont bother with the factory x, z variables....Instead, focus on the "CCout" variable which is a custom midi (made in desktop editor by tapping on the "midi" button)

Now, select it and observe the mapping window

target (self explanatory)
message - control change
controller - here you could put a simple number (21, 22, 23) OR a variable defined elsewhere...now notice in the project window I have added a CC variable and OOOOPS I just saw that I have forgotten to enter a value there....so add yourself a number there....(21, 22, 23)....The idea is that you can EASILY change that value with ANOTHER script or object as displayed further on with the Midi channel and knob. Given that in my example CC= is blank (null) the template you downloaded will most likely send CC 0 lol

value - x (the actual value of the fader, scaled 0 to 127 below)

Channel - chan - here's the interesting part for you....notice that the variable chan = floor (Knob.x*15)+1. Then this value is also displayed on the monitor object. As you can see by testing, our chan variable takes the desired 1-16 values when we move the knob - therefore, with the knob we affect the "chan" variable WHICH in turn is used as input in the "channel" mapping.

Easy, isnt it? ;)