looking for graphic elements (canvas)

Post and discuss Lemur Modules.
Joe Soap
Regular
Re: looking for graphic elements (canvas)

Post by Joe Soap » 07 Oct 2014 18:21

Have you considered the performance / framerate implications of that?

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 07 Oct 2014 18:25

errrr.......NOPE! lol

Oh come onnnnnnn.....how often do you actually need z for an object not available right now? Honestly, tell me!

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 07 Oct 2014 18:27

We are talking about pads and switches here...or am I missing something?

So, one single canvas object with as many rectangles as we want in it?

Joe Soap
Regular

Post by Joe Soap » 07 Oct 2014 18:41

What can I say except that when I need it, I need it . . . and clearly I'm not alone (as evidenced by this very thread).

I can say that any of the grid-type canvas objects posted thus far are noticeably slower to process input than native - be that x, y or z attributes. Now, that may be an artifact of the specific scripting implementation . . . but I'd posit that the most efficient scripting will still be slower than native attributes.

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 07 Oct 2014 20:39

thank you Softcore for the color fill. That's one thing I was looking for. Going to change my last West// template with this simpler method. And I believe I can do some other stuff with this almost blank template. Straight lines, beziers, etc. Tomorrow. During the last days I burnt again a shadow into my computer monitor because the Lemur editor was running for too long.

Understood the thing with transparency and Canvas. I was not sure, hoped it could be possible. I would need a z value for a Menu object. In a recent project, if I run a certain script with Menu.selection, things don't work quite right. But I'm sure I'll find another way to solve this problem.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 07 Oct 2014 20:55

Hey Phill! I have a proposition to make! Since you so kindly offered West...if you want I can recreate your multi-canvas background with one canvas alone so that it can also serve as a mini-tutorial about lines etc etc and send it back to you via PM. Let me know if you are interested. ;)

Joe Soap
Regular

Post by Joe Soap » 07 Oct 2014 21:02

Remember that sometimes it's definitely better to use multiple canvas objects depending on the mix of execution conditions required, versus framerate / perf maintenance.

For instance, redrawing a single complicated canvas just to refresh some parts of the interface. Definitely a tradeoff involved in using canvas efficiently.

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 07 Oct 2014 21:04

Agreed....but in the case of West they are only background coloring! ;)

Joe Soap
Regular

Post by Joe Soap » 07 Oct 2014 21:09

Cool - just throwing it out there as a datum :).

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 07 Oct 2014 21:43

Softcore this is a brilliant idea. I haven't thought about that. Of course this would be better. But only if you have time. I think I could do it also, probably spending many hours until I get it right. And there's another project I'm at right now.

Often I know the layout already, and doing the graphics in Lemur is not so difficult. Still, there's some guess work, and sometimes there are a couple of pixels left. Also it's not efficient to move so many objects around, checking x and y distances again and again. It would be better to do such things more precisely with one Canvas object, or only few.

In case it could help you, here are the images I used for the West template:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9i1ptjnfb7ke ... t.zip?dl=0

Attachment upload here doesn't work at the moment. Oh and don't mind the moving parts in the West template. I will do a custom menu and leave the background static, that's better. I just wanted to finish the template quickly so that I can use it. It's quite a nice Reaktor ensemble, I had already a couple of sessions with it.

Besides, did you manage to do this http://www.softcore.net.gr/LemurLogo.html in Lemur meanwhile? Or is it a limitation still?

Thanks again for your good idea. I am quite sure I will use this method (one Canvas background and then put elements on top) from the moment I fully understand the syntax.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro