Messages for a vu meter

Post and discuss Lemur Modules.
grillo
Messages for a vu meter

Post by grillo » 21 May 2014 11:54

Hello all

I would like to know what kind of midi message i have to send to a lemur liine vu meter or a signal scope?

I have built a lemur line controler for my Usine Hollywock, but i need some vu meters on my ipad.

Someone could explain to me how to do it please?

Regards

Grillo

Softcore
Regular

Re: Messages for a vu meter

Post by Softcore » 21 May 2014 12:28

The question is not what Lemur does...the question is what Usine sends....Does it even send midi messages that relate to volume level?

The only DAW I have ever witnessed doing it natively (besides using MCU protocol that is) is Bitwig Studio.

grillo

Post by grillo » 21 May 2014 13:15

Softcore wrote:The question is not what Lemur does...the question is what Usine sends....Does it even send midi messages that relate to volume level?

The only DAW I have ever witnessed doing it natively (besides using MCU protocol that is) is Bitwig Studio.
I don t think that Usine can natively send midi messages that relate to volume level.

I think i will have to make a kind of converter for this.

But my question is also: What i have to do to affect this messages to a Vu meter in Lemur?

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 21 May 2014 14:42

You are thinking this the wrong way.....first you make sure that midi messages that represent volume level are being sent, then you design a VU meter that works according to those midi messages. Its like asking "how can I make fader move according to the fader in my DAW".....well you just map it to the midi message related to that fader (in the software).

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 21 May 2014 14:48

Fortunately Usine has a Max-like environment where you should be able to extract the info you need ...
If you convert it to a CC message you can send that to Lemur and use that to control whatever
There are a few Level meter projects around to look at or build one yourself with Leds or the Canvas
First will be sorting out how to get the data out of Usine and also think about what you want it to look like in Lemur
And we'll take it from there .. ..
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

grillo

Post by grillo » 21 May 2014 15:23

Ok Guys

Thank you a lot for your answers.

I will look for in this direction.
I think it s possible in Usine, to convert sounds level to cc messages.

But unlike a fader, there is no medi learn for a VU meter. How to assign it to the dedicaded midi messages

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 21 May 2014 15:58

obviously you must have downloaded something from these forums or the user area? Post a link to it here, and then we see how it works.

grillo

Post by grillo » 21 May 2014 20:39

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 22 May 2014 06:10

Ah I see.....This is supposed to work with OSC messages.....

Furthermore, I tried to open it in Lemur and all I get is some un-referenced aliases...

IMHO you might want to start all over, with a quite different approach: for example, you can use a simple "multislder" as a level meter. Mapping it to the incoming CC messages of level will give you a nice level meter. Furthermore, if you would like to have a multicolor (displaying different colors according to the peak level) you could use a "canvas" colored object and overlay a black canvas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O2bzYrdrh0

Here's the relevant template if you are interested.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l7fma8sdpd0v7ig/LeBit.zip

grillo

Post by grillo » 22 May 2014 06:22

Great!!

Thank you very much fr your help! I will follow your advices.

Regards

G