Touch control

Post and discuss Lemur Modules.
Sanderxpander
Touch control

Post by Sanderxpander » 01 Jul 2013 16:43

Hey all,

I'm trying to dig into the Lemur for iPad app and while it seems mostly straightforward for creating standard midi controls I've run into an issue.
I've been reading up on scripting but I can't seem to find the right direction to look. Basically, what I want is a multiball that not only sends an X-Y but also a note on/off when I touch it and let it go again.
I had some idle hope that I could simply put a regular pad under or over the multiball but that doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone have any clever ideas on how to get this to work?

Softcore
Regular

Re: Touch control

Post by Softcore » 01 Jul 2013 19:04

Besides the X and Y expressions (variables) the MultiBall object (in fact most of Lemur objects) has the Z expression.

Z is 1 (on) when the multiball object is touched, 0 (off) when the multiball object is not touched. It can also be a vector (array) just like x and y in the form of z[0],z[1],z[2].....z[n-1] when you have n amount of balls activated in a multiball object.

You can of course use the z variable to trigger note ons - offs. ;)

One way is to map z to note-on values - when you let go of the ball, a note on with velocity 0 will be transmitted which in most cases will be treated like a note-off in the controlled software. If thats not good enough though, you can set up z in the midi mappings so that it triggers a note - on when touched (when z rises from 0, up arrow in mapping settings), and then set up a midi note - off message when you let go of the object (z drops to zero, down arrow in mapping settings).

What you are soon going to ask me though, I suspect, will be the way to dynamically change the pitch of the sent note on. Where custom midi out (or scripting) comes into play.

Sanderxpander

Re: Touch control

Post by Sanderxpander » 02 Jul 2013 06:35

Ha, that's dumb, I did see and read about the z variable but somehow I thought it had to do with the light level of the thing. I dismissed it cause I didn't get what that meant.

Actually for this current idea I can use OSC and just grab Z on/off. But my eventual idea is to hook it up to my synth so I'll need to use midi and I figured I would use a note on/off to trigger a note. I don't think I can bypass the gate on that particular one, otherwise I'd just modulate the amp level. Or the gate parameter for that matter. I'm pretty sure it can be the same note each time, because I need a smooth frequency sweep so I think I'd have to use pitchbend.

I'll give this a go first. Thanks! I knew it had to be something simple I was overlooking :)