ring area object in AB vekter module help

Post and discuss Lemur Modules.
acidan
ring area object in AB vekter module help

Post by acidan » 09 Apr 2013 19:08

Hi Folks

Im currently working on a surround project and am in the process of integrating multiple AB vekter modules into my lemur template.

In order to make vekter perfect for my needs I need to find a way to disable the attractor in the ring area object when vekter has been stopped. This will then allow me to use it for surround panning duties. In other words, I'd like the ball to stay in the position it is manually moved to and not return to the attractor.

Any help on this would be amazing.

Thanks in advance

Softcore
Regular

Re: ring area object in AB vekter module help

Post by Softcore » 09 Apr 2013 22:22

In the properties of the object, type:

z

in the "speed" field.

This will cause the "speed" of the object to go zero once you dont touch it anymore (z = object being touched true/false) thus, freezing its position.

acidan

Post by acidan » 10 Apr 2013 01:22

Cheers Softcore, that did the trick, very happy. I ended up using friction=z as well to make the ring area behave more like a traditional panner without the physics. I have another question but it will have to wait as Ive been playing for hours and I can barely keep my eyes open.

Thanks again

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 10 Apr 2013 11:27

Just type

in friction

No need to have that change from 0 to 1 according to your touch (that is what you are essentially doing with z)

edit to add:

I think though, even though the RingArea object looks good for surround panning, you 'll have another problem. The way it is designed, you can't have 100% left, 100% rear for example. Even though the shape is round, the x and y values are calculated based on a square surface (the shadowed surface you see when you select the object in the editor).

In simple words, you can only 100% left or right when front-rear is zero and you can have 100% front or 100% right when pan is zero - in even simpler words, even though visually its a cricle, essentially if you used a MultiBall object with one ball you'd have better control on the surround panning.

lABl
Lemur Guru

Post by lABl » 11 Apr 2013 08:45

Hi there,

I attached a version with multiball, you can use others object like single faders, multisliders, etc (take a loot to remoteExample script) or directly the "outX" , "outY" variables can be used too.
AB Vekter MultiBall Ex.jzlib
(47.45KiB)Downloaded 247 times
Cheers,
AB

acidan

Post by acidan » 12 Apr 2013 04:45

Thanks for all of your help everyone, Its been a while since I last visited the forum and it is nice to see that the community is growing and is pretty active these days. Lots of good advice and great modules to be found :)

The idea behind the template is to be able to mix live audio inputs into an ambisonic soundfield with some panning automation courtesy of the brilliant MR AB, with some effects and system tools thrown in for good measure.

I really like the ring area object for panning, it controls my ambisonic plugs perfectly so I'm going to stick with it for now.

If anyone is interested in looking at the template please PM me and I will send you a link to the files as they are too big to upload to the forum

I would love to hear from anyone who can offer suggestions for improvement of the layout or advice on better or more efficient ways of doing things.

Regards