Controlling container Tabs with other controls- and messages

Post and discuss Lemur Modules.
Softcore
Regular
Controlling container Tabs with other controls- and messages

Post by Softcore » 27 Mar 2013 22:34

Many people seem to be struggling with this or asking about how could someone control which tab of a container is visible via incoming midi or OSC messages. The logic is quite simple - by creating pads, buttons or any other objects with scripts to select a container's tab, you can then send your "messages" to those controls which in turn will control the tab.

For learning purposes, here's an example template with menu, pads, and switch objects controlling the tabs of containers. The menu and switches objects also have the advantage that you can see which tab is currently visible ;)
TabControl.jzml
(7.41KiB)Downloaded 1106 times

steo0315

Re: Controlling container Tabs with other controls- and mess

Post by steo0315 » 22 Apr 2014 13:45

WOW ! Thanks that was exactly what I was looking for !!
Can you explain how it works ?

((steo))

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 22 Apr 2014 18:59

Yeah sure, read the lemur manual then check out the "selTab" scripts in the menu, Pad, and switch objects! ;)

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 22 Apr 2014 21:08

He's not being mean -- I pulled up the .jzml in a text editor and could clearly see how it worked. I didn't even have to run it.

Run it in the Lemur editor, look at the selTab() scripts in the various objects and you'll see what's happening. One note - if you're not used to programming, most things start counting with 0. So the first tab internally is number 0, the first menu selection value is 0, the first button/switch in a matrix is 0, and so on.

This really is a 'follow the dots' to go from one thing to the next. What you learn by studying this will help you implement it the way you want in your own scripts. Lemur coding is definitely not simply 'cut and paste'; you really have to understand the bits and pieces you borrow.