^^KnobLed_ Module

Post and discuss Lemur Modules.
Macciza
Regular
Re: ^^KnobLed_ Module

Post by Macciza » 28 Feb 2013 15:41

Hi
No - I am pretty sure assignment is 'binary', only 2 args messages used . . .

Ahh - No, That is part of a shorthand 'if/then/else' <if>?<then>:<else> . . .
Thats the part the does the setting, so yo can address the module normally i.e. KnobLed.x=0;

Cheers
MM

And I am pretty sure it should just be a windows issue (I hope)
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 28 Feb 2013 15:46

I'll test on my iPad and report back......

here's what I have though.......

x= x!=Knob.x?Knob.x=x:x

z= z!=Knob.z?Knob.z=z:z

I noticed the first "=" (in bold) hence my question above! ;)

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 28 Feb 2013 15:56

Hmm
Definitely Windows prob then I'd say . .
And does it do that if you type it in yourself?
It should be an 'if then else' command and it will play up if the 'not equals' is not evaluating properly.

On iPad it will be fine . . .

MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 28 Feb 2013 16:10

Ahaaaa now I get then

If x!=Knob.x then x=Knob.x else x=x....

No wait a minute.....shouldnt it be:

x=x!=Knob.x?Knob.x:x

I have in the editor

x=x!=Knob.x?Knob.x=x:x

the logic of which I still cant comprehend......

Damn Im confused.......

BRB after testing with iPad

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 28 Feb 2013 17:09

Official results:

Windows 7 32 bit, editor in "e" mode - not working, the knob does not respond to cursor or responds erratically
Windows 7 64bit, editor in "e" mode - not working, the knob does not respond to cursor or responds erratically

iPad 2, latest iOS, latest Lemur - knob does not respond to cursor or responds erratically

I think that the following
x!=Knob.x?Knob.x=x:x

means if x is not equal to Knob.x then Knob.x=x BUT all this is used in defining the x (KnobLed.x) expression so essentially it returns
x = Knob.x = x
and this causes the problem

(and the same of course for KnobLed.z and Knob.z)

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 01 Mar 2013 02:36

Ok
Seems theres a problem with it in last releases . . .
I forgot I was on beta versions -sorry ...
Damn - I probably should have waited . . .
MM

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 01 Mar 2013 07:29

No problem...The good part is it isnt a problem related to OS (editor) or to specific user iPad configuration.

Joe Soap
Regular

Post by Joe Soap » 01 Mar 2013 15:26

Nice work guys.

Be great to get this one sorted, it looks like very interesting code with great potential for the concept of modules generally, if I'm not mistaken.

I was thinking of ways to make modules this self-contained but lacked the scripting chops to do it programmatically so this is gold, Jerry! GOLD I tells ya!

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 04 Mar 2013 06:11

Hi
Yeah part of the idea I was hoping to present here was just that - Object 'subclassing' - or drop in replacements that get used like normal objects . . .
So getting/setting etc does not need to delve any deeper than the first level, and as much as possible is hidden away . . .
Also the easy resizing makes them more reusable without delving into the objects construction

And also to expand on that in terms of 'inlined' objects and 'external lib' objects as an approach to Module design and use . . .
This module is inline- all the scripting is repeated in every module; an external version has most of the functions in a library once that get calls from objects.
Inline is fine for a few objects but may be wasteful if you are using a lot of them, in which case Libraries are better . . .

May start a thread for discussion of general Module design principles, implementation and use . . .

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 04 Mar 2013 07:40

What troubles me with this approach is whether the extra programming required for such "enclosed" modules is justified in terms of "processing economy". I mean, if we need ten lines of code-script for somethin that we could just go into a lower level (as end users) and set manually, isnt it a better option in terms of having a "lightweight" final template?