Module for working with Vectors

Post and discuss Lemur Modules.
m127
Re: Module for working with Vectors

Post by m127 » 09 Dec 2012 21:14

yeah, totally right on all counts.

bottom line though, how would a new user ever grasp all that from the manual?

Quote from manual:
Comparison

== equal to

ie, not questioning whether the function outcome is correct or not. If == really means "equal to dinosaurs", fine; any outcome will be equal to dinosaurs, and it would be correct because such is the native design of the function.

I had to do a lot of troubleshooting to actually see what was really being compared.

brianc
Regular

Post by brianc » 09 Dec 2012 21:33

m127 wrote:bottom line though, how would a new user ever grasp all that from the manual?
Yeah, who knows :) I guess since I'm just used to using vectors for sets of things and for ordered sequences of data, I think whenever I think about these things it's in a specific context, but new users don't have that same context.

I don't have any say in the Lemur documentation, but if you end up using SLVector and have any feedback for the README, I'd be happy to have it.

m127

Post by m127 » 10 Dec 2012 00:17

edit: nah, too heavy, disregard :)
Last edited by m127 on 10 Dec 2012 07:47, edited 1 time in total.

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 10 Dec 2012 00:25

oh come on. :lol:

I also don't get it with this array arithmetic, but one day it might be valuable for me and I will be glad that other users have already done some work on this topic.

Patience my friend, patience.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 10 Dec 2012 02:04

Hi
I think 'context' is important and you should try thinking more Lemur rather than try making Lemur think elsewise . . .
Arrays don't truncate to shortest when operated upon - because of the context in which they are used, a row of switches, lights etc

The best debugging method is simply to put parts of your equation into a Monitor.value
then you see vec1==vec2 returns an array {vec1-vec2} not simply a binary 0-1, T/F . . .

Comparisons can be done in many ways, without iterating as well, avoiding the loops
if x-y=0 then x=y
(firstof(vec1-vec2)==sizeof(vec1))&&(sizeof(vec1)==sizeof(vec2)) -
I find that you use too many loops in your functions for my liking . . .

Another option is conversion
arraytostring(vec1) == arraytostring(vec2) works a charm . . .

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

brianc
Regular

Post by brianc » 11 Dec 2012 00:01

New version uploaded. Changes include less loops, new functions for creating vectors (linspace, arange, zeros, ones), new functions for sampling from vectors (random_choice, random_sample), and more. Much thanks to Macciza and Antonio Blanca for feedback!

m127

Post by m127 » 11 Dec 2012 00:31

Macciza wrote:Hi
I think 'context' is important and you should try thinking more Lemur rather than try making Lemur think elsewise . . .
Arrays don't truncate to shortest when operated upon - because of the context in which they are used, a row of switches, lights etc

The best debugging method is simply to put parts of your equation into a Monitor.value
then you see vec1==vec2 returns an array {vec1-vec2} not simply a binary 0-1, T/F . . .

Comparisons can be done in many ways, without iterating as well, avoiding the loops
if x-y=0 then x=y
(firstof(vec1-vec2)==sizeof(vec1))&&(sizeof(vec1)==sizeof(vec2)) -
I find that you use too many loops in your functions for my liking . . .

Another option is conversion
arraytostring(vec1) == arraytostring(vec2) works a charm . . .

Cheers
MM

Excellent. Thanks much.

brianc
Regular

Post by brianc » 15 Jan 2013 19:22

Updated to Version 1.5. Includes new functions:

count(a,val) - Return the number of elements in vector a whose value equals val (a singleton)
minval(a) - Return the minimum value in vector a
maxval(a) -Return the maximum value in vector a

I was surprised to see that the built-in min() and max() functions work with 2 arguments as is done in most languages instead of using vectors.