Possible solution recurring Deamon connection problems

Discuss problems and solutions.
jbgeluid
Regular
Possible solution recurring Deamon connection problems

Post by jbgeluid » 10 Dec 2020 04:33

I have done some extensive testing to find out what was causing connection problems using lemur and the deamon on windows 10 using loopmidi on multiple ipads (8) My ipads are running identical lemur templates, that are controlling cubase 11 , 4 ipads on 2 identical workspaces connected to the same computer.

I'd like to post my conclusions first:
1. Lemur demon alows for a maximum of 58 loopmidi ports. One more and the deamon crashes.
2. "port naming style" in loopmidi seems to be very important. I tried a lot of combinations. I seems lemur gets confused when counting in numers (loopmidi port 01 to 58 for example).
The absolute winner is:
Loopmidi port 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, 1F, 1G, 1H, and so on for the first ipad
Loopmidi port 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, and so on for the second ipad
and so on. With the restriction of the maxumum of 58 ports.

Explaination:
The basic idea is: end the port name with a letter. As soon as you end with a number, lemur gets confused when a number is used multiple times. (01, 11..)This is not the case when using multiple identical letters combined with an unique number as shown above.
Don't as me why.
Typical problems: Can connect, but on restart connections are flakey, sends work but returns do not anymore, re-assigning helps but the problems return after a restart (of the system: computer, ipads, router).
About the port problems: I found out using device cleanup tool (https://www.uwe-sieber.de/misc_tools_e.html) that lemur is "ditching" previous ports after a restart if it has a problem with the name. Also the new connection is flakey, reconnecting in the ipad helps, but the problems return after a restart. Because the basic problem, confusion in the demon caused by a "conflicting" name is still there. By using the above naming schedule this is not hapening anymore, also the connection is rocksolid after a restart, no more "non present devices" in windows.

I would be interested to hear if this solution also works for other lemur users.

Edit; it's still not perfect, for some reason after a restart all but the first ipads faders are not transmitting smoothly, but with small intervals (nrpn). Disabling and reconnecting the first "(midi0) To:)" port on these iPads resolves the issue. Kinda stuck on this for now. It's not a big deal but inconvenient. Suggestions for (a way to find) a solution are welcome.
Cubase 11, Windows 10/
Intel I7 4930K @3.4Ghz/
multiple RME hammerfall cards
Controllers: Ipad2/16gb, Lemur, BCR2000
http://www.jbgeluid.nl

Phil999
Regular

Re: Possible solution recurring Deamon connection problems

Post by Phil999 » 08 Jan 2021 08:04

thank you for posting your findings.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro