Lemur editor not saving window arrangement

Discuss problems and solutions.
Primal Punk
Lemur editor not saving window arrangement

Post by Primal Punk » 12 Feb 2017 17:45

Hello.
This might have been posted before somewhere, if so, I apologize.

My problem is that every time I open the Lemur editor it's windows are arranged in the default arrangement. I like to re-arrange the windows so that the bar with all the icons is horizontal at the top and the project tree window is all the way from top to bottom at the right side and stuff like that, but every time I open the editor it's back to default. I also need to set the path for the Library folder every time.

How can I save my settings as the default?
Hardware: Roland AIRA MX-1, TR-8, System-1, JD-Xi, SP-404sx, Arturia BeatStep Pro, AKAI RhythmWolf, Ableton Push
Software: Ableton Live, Lemur and loads more.

ForestCat
Regular

Re: Lemur editor not saving window arrangement

Post by ForestCat » 25 Mar 2017 22:18

Me too. I have the editor on five different computers. Two of them will not recall the layout from the previous session. Total pain in the ass. I find it difficult to believe that you & I are the only ones...

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 26 Mar 2017 04:50

it is a mystery to me as well. It happens in Win 7 and Win 10, and I never found the reason why. Uninstall/reinstall doesn't help. It happened with earlier versions of Lemur editor and with the current version. I just learned to live with it. It's a well known bug since long time for Windows OS. It's a bit of a pain, but in my opinion not at that proverbial location.

One can rearrange the editor for a session, work with it, leave the computer running until the template is finished. Until next time. It's not alright, but when working with the editor I still must admire how well it is designed. It's a 2003 design, but it is still superior to any other editor I know.

In the end it's just a question of a couple of mouse inputs, then the editor is ready. Not really a problem IMHO. And you may have an OS (I still have a functioning old hackintosh 10.7, and two Windows 10 machines) where the editor GUI works as expected. If you have such an installation, use this one.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

ForestCat
Regular

Post by ForestCat » 26 Mar 2017 14:37

It's a 2003 design, but it is still superior to any other editor I know.
Phil, not to be argumentative, I greatly respect appreciate, and learn from your valuable activity on this forum, but on the subject of this editor:

No search/replace ( sorry, but loading the template in an external xml editor is NOT the correct answer...)

No rename capability for scripts/expressions. This is TOTALLY an editor function, no need to mess with the Lemur code.

Broken parser, actually tries to parse comment code after the //, in certain cases will totally corrupt/erase the rest of the script.

No ability to change the syntax highlighting color, specifically the 'unreadable green" for comments.

Totally inconsistent context menu functionality, i.e. right-click copy/paste not available for some things, but CTRL-C/V works, so it's not a 'prohibited functionality'.

No ability to Right-Click==>Paste at cursor position, always upper left corner.

Pasting into the currently selected location in the Project Tree often results in the focus jumping to some unrelated location in the project.

No autoscroll when selecting lines wider than visible script window.

Renaming an object deletes all its aliases.

Inconsistent/useless Tab Key functionality when editing fields in the Object Pane, etc.

AND THE GRAND FINALE, the one that has me routinely cursing the idiots who let this remain unfixed for 14 years:
Clicking in a text field, SEEING THE CURSOR THERE WITH MY OWN EYES, hitting the backspace key to change the last character (God knows that's a REALLY RARE THING TO WANT TO DO IN LEMUR, lol), and ACCIDENTALLY DELETING THE ENTIRE F'N OBJECT because the cursor focus mysteriously jumped back to the object itself in the instant it took to look down at the keyboard to start typing. No, double-clicking in the field is not the answer because that _sometimes_ selects all the text.

There are SO many other atrocities in this editor, this is just off the top of my head. In 2003 there were, IMO, other editors that were AT LEAST on par w/ this one. In 2017, it's an inexcusable embarrassment, and a testimony to just how little attention is paid to the various wishlist posts on this forum.

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 27 Mar 2017 15:29

hm, while this all might be true, I still get things done quite quickly and easily. While the editor is connected to Lemur! This is a very powerful feature. I mean, compare the Lemur editor to the TouchOSC editor. It's a huge difference.

No renaming of scripts? Well, so be it. I just copy the content, delete the script, create a new one with the name I want, paste content, and set the condition.

Besides, I believe I was wrong about the date, it is rather 2005 when Jazzmutant Lemur was introduced.

But back on topic, I have found a solution (Windows x64) for the editor arrangement some time ago (and forgot about it). There is a registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/JazzMutant/JazzEditor/DockLayout

For Windows x86, simply search for JazzMutant or DockLayout, to find the correct key.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think this is what you want to do if the arrangement doesn't get recalled: delete that entry, and next time you start the editor a new entry will be created. The window arrangement will remain. Problem solved.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

Laithar

Post by Laithar » 16 Oct 2017 11:30

I found DockLayout in the registry, it was actually in three places. I deleted them and they didn't get written back. Luckily I had made a copy of them. It was just XML data. I tried rearranging the x,y,width,height data of each window so that they would be rewritten where I would like them. Nothing happened. It's like Lemur no longer looks at the registry. My copy of Lemur doesn't hold the skins or the library locations either. I have to search for them everytime I open it. I bought Lemur about two months ago and already I am seeing there is very little support. The problem is, every time someone buys Lemur, the developers are gaining revenue but maybe the number of purchases these days probably aren't justifying the cost of further development and support, which is a shame if that is happening. Lemur is obviously usable in it's current state but it has so much more potential. I have quickly learned how to program it to a degree but now my ideas are creating frustration because I can't find the information I need to do the things I want to do. Does this mean it can't be done? No, because I have seen it done in add on modules that cost more than twice what you pay for Lemur itself. How do they know the secrets to Lemur and we don't? I will crack on with it for the time being but when I generally hit a proverbial brick wall and can't knock it down, I tend to walk away. At that point, Liine will still have my money but not my recommendation.

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 16 Oct 2017 15:42

are you using Windows 10, recent versions? I do since some time, and indeed one can remove the registry entries and the problem comes back. I believe Lemur editor 5.3.2 works flawlessly in Windows 7. It's a bit of a problem right now (and maybe only on Win10).

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 27 Oct 2017 08:55

hm, after re-installing Lemur on my two Windows 10 machines, everything works since one week. Maybe the problems with the registry entry only occurs after a Windows update? I don't know, but I think it's worth trying again.

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 12 Nov 2017 19:22

unfortunately, the new version 5.3.4 does not remember the window arrangement at all (Windows). I recommend to install version 5.3.2 which works fine with the updated Lemur app.

Laithar

Post by Laithar » 22 Jan 2018 18:57

But where does one download 5.3.2?