Problem with Lemur & Cubase generic remote Punch in Buttons

Discuss problems and solutions.
krevvy
Problem with Lemur & Cubase generic remote Punch in Buttons

Post by krevvy » 11 Feb 2017 17:53

Hi, still getting to graps with Lemur, but have a nice tracking transport for Cubase pro 9's generic remote,
everything I want is working as expected except for some of the switches - Punch In/Punch out and Snap On/Off

I have "activate punch in" on a switch and when I press it, the activate punch in on Cubase lights up, so all good.
however when I then deactivate the switch on lemur, the button in Cubase doesn't deactivate...
if I press the button again in lemur, then it deactivates in Cubase, but by now the status of button is obviously wrong..

Also have the same issue with Cubase snap on/off

I also use the clicktrack on/off which works perfectly as a switch and always works as expected

Cheers

MrCorba
Regular

Re: Problem with Lemur & Cubase generic remote Punch in Butt

Post by MrCorba » 12 Feb 2017 19:29

This is because the punch in/ punch out expects a momentary switch. I'm not a cubase user so I'm not sure if you can change this in cubase but you can work around this in Lemur.

Most simple solution is to use a pad. This works as a momentary switch and will work with one click. Again not a Cubase user, so I don't know if this works with reflecting the state.

Another solution is to add a script to your switch, executed when pressed and depressed that fires the corresponding midi messages. This way, everytime a "press" state is sent, thus faking a pad.

Hope this helps
Cheers!
"Having no silence in music is like having no black or white in a painting" - Brian Eno
https://soundcloud.com/mrcorba

krevvy

Post by krevvy » 14 Feb 2017 22:11

MrCorba wrote:This is because the punch in/ punch out expects a momentary switch. I'm not a cubase user so I'm not sure if you can change this in cubase but you can work around this in Lemur.

Most simple solution is to use a pad. This works as a momentary switch and will work with one click. Again not a Cubase user, so I don't know if this works with reflecting the state.

Another solution is to add a script to your switch, executed when pressed and depressed that fires the corresponding midi messages. This way, everytime a "press" state is sent, thus faking a pad.

Hope this helps
Cheers!
Hello and thanks for the reply! yep that's what it appears (momentary switch thing) I cant see anyway to edit this behaviour in Cubase, and yes if I change the lemur buttons to pad's then 1 touch activates and 1 touch de-activates, however the pads don't then reflect the buttons status. (would like them to stay lit when on)
The reason I would like them as toggles, is so that its easily visible from my tablet if the function is active or not)

I have not the first bit of knowledge about scripting, is there a decent "for dummies" guide?

Many thanks

krevvy

Post by krevvy » 19 Feb 2017 09:44

the workaround of setting buttons from switches to pads is working (not ideal)
but came to use the lemur templates instead of trusty old touchosc last night...
all was good until cubase started acting very weird. (related to audio punch incs)

set the punch in point, worked
enable punch in , worked
rewind a bit and play, working....
however then at the point it should start recording automatically, the record in cubase briefly flashed on/off and it continued to play wut not recording.
the record button on lemur changed to indicate record was active.

initially i thought it was a weird cubase glitch, rebooted my surface & same found again.
i then quit lemur and loopmidi, and just using the laptop, it worked fine, carried on recording at the punch in point like it should)

then switched back to using touchosc, and all was fine.

so somehow with lemur/loopmidi its immediatley deactivating record a split seond after a punch in.

Have emailed liine support as it looks like the forums arnt monitored by anyone, paying £23 for an app im hoping the support is good :roll:

krevvy

Post by krevvy » 23 Feb 2017 18:21

Well completely been ignore by support.. no reply at all from them.

Is this abandonware??

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 24 Feb 2017 10:29

krevvy wrote:Well completely been ignore by support.. no reply at all from them.

Is this abandonware??
the only technical support you will receive with Lemur is from other users that have the time and energy to answer.
Lemur tech staff no longer answers anything. Their prime function seems to be deleting spammers off the forums.

krevvy

Post by krevvy » 25 Feb 2017 18:11

oldgearguy wrote:
krevvy wrote:Well completely been ignore by support.. no reply at all from them.

Is this abandonware??
the only technical support you will receive with Lemur is from other users that have the time and energy to answer.
Lemur tech staff no longer answers anything. Their prime function seems to be deleting spammers off the forums.

I didn't get any reply to my support request that I emailed to them, I did however get a an email when i asked for a refund..
what a shame, i'd love to use lemur, but its a bit expensive when you dont get any support at all from them.

Cya

janiliamilanes

Post by janiliamilanes » 25 Feb 2017 18:42

Not to sound mean but why would anyone expect devs to respond to requests about how to program? Devs just make sure the app works and is bug free, you still gotta know how to program.

It will be like getting mad at Apple because you can't figure out how to program in XCode/Swift/Obj-C :P
Could you imagine how much support they would have to give if they had to custom program every bodys personal stuff?
Imagine --- they would have to know every DAW (Ableton, Cubase, Logic, DP, Reason, Studio One) PLUS they would have to read everyones code and become your personal programming tutor. I've only been playing with Lemur for a couple weeks and I've had zero problems doing what I need to do. Dunno...I have experience with programming and I understood everything very quickly. Nothing is weird, it looks like a very simple C-style syntax. So the second I run into problem I call the devs and ask for a refund... :roll: I know that it "works in TouchOSC" but that's because touchOSC is a totally different thing with zero programming. It's not the fault of Lemur it's the fault of the programmer... Lemur is WAY more powerful than touchOSC, not even close. Obviously Lemur is capable of doing anything you want it to do, just take a look at the crazy powerful stuff people have made.

$25 for an app as powerful as Lemur is "too expensive"??? Hmmm :cry: It is sad. Lemur should be $99.

Sorry, I must be in a bad mood today :?

krevvy

Post by krevvy » 25 Feb 2017 21:33

yep understood totally., its a complex app, dragging around buttons in the editor and giving them a midi channel isnt rocket science... I was not doing any kind of scripting or variable based stuff... just drag & drop.
I have a similar transport control setup with touchOSC, and no issues at all, it just works.
The same type of simple buttons setup in Lemur and I have issues.. no advanced programming here.

Yes I can see the potential of Lemur, the advanced features look brilliant, & the editor is so much nice than touchosc.
In my case I was just trying to first replicate a very basic setup that i had done in touchosc..

Any kind of a reply like

"thanks for your email, but we are not sure what the issue is"

instead of not a single reply... just makes me not want to support a company like that, yes it maybe a very simple and basic request that their support team could likely have an answer for within 2 minutes.
I can understand if it was freeware not getting email responses, but to ignore paying customers is rude. no matter how simple the request is, someone spent money on your app... at least help them! There are so many amaizing projects done with lemur, I really would of liked to get stuck in to learning it

$99 for lemur would be fine, i could live with that too, but they would need to reply to simple support requests for that.

dburns

Post by dburns » 07 Apr 2017 01:07

I posted a template in the user library called 3 blinking pads. I got help from Antonio here on the forum, and created three pads that light up when pressed, then turn off when pressed again, emulating a switch behaviour, but still acting like a Pad. This was in part due to the Generic Remote in Cubase needing Pad behaviour. The pads have an animated "on" state, but it is possible to have an "on" state simply be lit up bright. I can post one of those as well if desired.
Obviously the state in Cubase isn't really sync'd to the ipad, so you might need to check once when opening a song/session to make sure the state on the ipad matches the state in Cubase of the functions mapped in the generic remote.