OSC - why are monitor values shown in 'quotes'?

Discuss problems and solutions.
ishaan
OSC - why are monitor values shown in 'quotes'?

Post by ishaan » 21 Dec 2016 08:23

This is surely a noob question, but, well...I'm a bit of a noob

I've noticed that all my monitor values are shown with single quote symbols (i.e., '-0.5 dB', 'FX Param 1', etc.). Obviously, I'd like to remove these.

Anybody know why they're there?

For a bit of background...I'm designing a master control surface for Reaper. It's coming together in bits and pieces :-) but when it's done, I can't wait to share it!

oldgearguy
Regular

Re: OSC - why are monitor values shown in 'quotes'?

Post by oldgearguy » 21 Dec 2016 11:24

ishaan wrote:This is surely a noob question, but, well...I'm a bit of a noob

I've noticed that all my monitor values are shown with single quote symbols (i.e., '-0.5 dB', 'FX Param 1', etc.). Obviously, I'd like to remove these.

Anybody know why they're there?

For a bit of background...I'm designing a master control surface for Reaper. It's coming together in bits and pieces :-) but when it's done, I can't wait to share it!
The unhelpful answer is because that's what you have to put in the value field to have text displayed. I don't believe any of us have found a way to have straight text show up in the Monitor display area without quotes.
Numbers are fine (as you see, and numbers with some arbitrary units (like dB) show up fine as well.

The other way to have text/labels dynamically set on screen is to use the Text object. You have to use the setattribute() function to change the text value, but it does display without quotes.