Need Help to Save and Load Presets of Multiple Objects

Discuss problems and solutions.
oldgearguy
Regular
Re: Need Help to Save and Load Presets of Multiple Objects

Post by oldgearguy » 08 Nov 2016 10:48

kept using my old one for now.
Here is the reset change. The "nothing" option is a placeholder that doesn't clear anything (prevents accidental erasures). Play around with saving stuff across different banks and presets and use the clear menu to selectively clear stuff. The early morning guarantee is that it mostly works.... Let me know what you find. "Current" is the current display (doesn't mess with other presets or banks).

I am going to work the offset and swing sliders to free up more room. Also - not sure why the Clock 1 display is needed since you can't change it anywhere (unless there's a button/menu someplace that I'm not seeing).
Attachments
ExamplesBanks.jzml
(103.74KiB)Downloaded 80 times

tater01

Post by tater01 » 09 Nov 2016 07:39

Wow, thanks again! You are a genius!
The presets and clear menu work great. I'm totally excited at how good it is coming along. So glad you are so good at coding too!
Love seeing the updates!
Thanks!

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 09 Nov 2016 13:15

tater01 wrote:Wow, thanks again! You are a genius!
The presets and clear menu work great. I'm totally excited at how good it is coming along. So glad you are so good at coding too!
Love seeing the updates!
Thanks!
Started work on the start/end loop controls. I have them working outside the template and will tie them in in the next day or so.

Question - Swing currently sets the swing amount for all rows to the same amount. Is that useful or would you rather have individual control over each row? (swing yes/no, or set separate amounts per row)
Also, I don't have a good feel that's it's actually working - I don't see the marker 'swing' across the steps like I think it should.

tater01

Post by tater01 » 10 Nov 2016 05:50

Hey man! How you doing? Sorry for the unclear reply before. No, clock led/display is not needed. The clock can be deleted. Thanks for asking. And I think that one swing slider for all the stepswitches is sufficient. Just to try and give it a little human feel to it before its sent/recorded to DAW for further manipulation. I don't think it needs to be that sophisticated with swing adjustment for each stepswitch. Kinda overkill, and you already are killing it with this preset setup! Really appreciate the input and asking! I was thinking though, a way to manipulate velocity would be kinda cool? Could be a hidden control? And/or maybe even like a humanize knob, like on Toontrack EZdrummer, that varies velocities slightly to give human feel. Not necessary though.

And I don't really care it works good enough for me, but you asked me to troubleshoot. So...when you hit clear everything, and then play through the presets. It makes some junk in the B section. Can't remember exactly which one. But around B3 it leaves like a junk present of random stepswitch patterns. Not a big deal to me though!

Thanks again for the updates!

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 10 Nov 2016 12:52

tater01 wrote:Hey man! How you doing? Sorry for the unclear reply before. No, clock led/display is not needed. The clock can be deleted. Thanks for asking. And I think that one swing slider for all the stepswitches is sufficient. Just to try and give it a little human feel to it before its sent/recorded to DAW for further manipulation. I don't think it needs to be that sophisticated with swing adjustment for each stepswitch. Kinda overkill, and you already are killing it with this preset setup! Really appreciate the input and asking! I was thinking though, a way to manipulate velocity would be kinda cool? Could be a hidden control? And/or maybe even like a humanize knob, like on Toontrack EZdrummer, that varies velocities slightly to give human feel. Not necessary though.

And I don't really care it works good enough for me, but you asked me to troubleshoot. So...when you hit clear everything, and then play through the presets. It makes some junk in the B section. Can't remember exactly which one. But around B3 it leaves like a junk present of random stepswitch patterns. Not a big deal to me though!

Thanks again for the updates!
I appreciate the feedback. I thought I saw something whiz by when I was testing the clear. I'll look at it again, although in theory the code is doing the exact same thing for each row and each bank.

I'll leave what Swing is doing alone then.
Is the Offset control useful/necessary for you to line up the audio and MIDI data between the device and the DAW? Just curious.

Been adding the loop start and end functionality with a pop-up fader to save space. it's just a little slow cutting and pasting scripts and objects from one template into another. Plus my wife's birthday and our anniversary are this week, so free time has been at a premium. Once the start/end loop buttons and swing are back on the screen, I'm going to be pretty much done with what I can do. I haven't turned on any music equipment for the past 2 weeks, so it's time to get away from the computer.

If you were using a device with a larger screen, there'd be more room to add things like velocity controls/variations and humanize type functionality, but given this form factor, you've about maximized what can be fit there.

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 11 Nov 2016 17:19

give this (hopefully) final version a try.

Some things to pay attention to -- Swing in Lemur ranges from -1 to 1 with 0 being no swing. Commonly, swing is displayed as a percentage with 50% usually meaning both notes get equal amounts of time (i.e. - no swing). I'm displaying it as 0 - 100% with 50% in the middle to mirror gear like the LinnDrum, etc. If you want that changed to some other display type, let me know.

The Loop Start End points let you isolate any section and change them on the fly. I put in a basic guard to prevent setting start after end or end before start (not going to try to work the math gymnastics for going in reverse).

I cleaned up the Clear options to actually clear everything you ask it to.

Internally, I deleted some containers and stuff that was just giving me headaches for minimal gain.
No comments yet - that's for Monday and I'll post that separately.
I will probably also rename some objects so they naturally group in the editor display.
I didn't group object on the screen so if you move things around, the text won't move with the button/slider, you have to move the separately. I'll do that as well, but note you have to ungroup them in the editor to change individual pieces.

enjoy

(other requests like velocity, etc will have to wait).

Oh - one important thing - to change the loop points or swing, just click on the displayed text/button and a slider will pop up. I still have to make the slider go away if you decide not to change anything and if you want to see your end loop point when changing the start point, let me know and I'll move the pop-up over more.
Attachments
ExamplesBanksFinal.jzml
(166.89KiB)Downloaded 82 times

tater01

Post by tater01 » 12 Nov 2016 05:36

Ok, you are a god damn coding artist!!!
Thank you so much!!! Really!
That loop start stop system is much better than what I had in mind! Awesome job man! And the swing display is more than great. Thanks!

So...did some more troubleshooting (Sorry). When you hit play and don't have a preset stored it deletes the stepsequencer pattern. Not that big of a deal. Just have to remember to hit store before hitting play or it deletes it. Also, not that big of a deal. When the play cursor gets to the end of the sequence, it sends some junk midi to the pc. I have all the stepswitches set to send out channel 2 note on messages. Looking with a midi monitor on pc it sends like 10 messages of channel 1 cc 1 at the end of every stepswitch. No real biggie. I'm going to go through the entire layout and disable midi where I don't need it and same with osc messages where I don't need them to slim down on the amount of messages my huge layout is sending!

Also, the pop up sliders that pop up from your loop and swing pads, could you maybe make them the same size as the pop up offset/velocity/humanize sliders for me that I added? And also make them show right below their corresponding pad? No matter if I move them or resize them they always show back up in the same spot. Pretty sure that is the get object line of code but I couldn't find it to change their size and location. In this one I'm uploading now I added a velocity slider! And I think it works! Yay! I'm not totally useless! LoL! Which also brings me to my next thing: I don't expect you to do it, you've done more than enough for my undeserving ass! But, I do want to take a stab at a humanize slider. I want to have a fader that varies velocities slightly to give human feel. Like when the slider is 0 there is no variation in velocity. When the fader is at max or 1 it gives like 35% variation of the velocity. So if my velocity slider is at max 127, say like 8 of the 16 step notes will have a velocity of 127-35. So maybe you could describe it to me briefly and I can take a go at trying to build it. Or maybe if you have time, next week or month or year, or whenever you feel like it, you could code it for me? Not necessary though and I don't expect you to! Here is my small updated layout:
ExamplesBanksFinal 0.1.jzml
Updated layout
(178.02KiB)Downloaded 71 times
Thanks again for all your wisdom and generosity. Happy birthday to your wife! And happy anniversary! From your name "old"gearguy, I'm guessing you've been married a long time. So congrats on being a smart and strong enough person to survive marriage for so long! Good job! Keep up the good work with your family! Don't ever let me keep you from your family. Keep that wife happy. Happy wife=happy life!

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 12 Nov 2016 12:05

Moved the pop-up sliders (code changes are/were in dispFader()).
Fixed clear of current pattern when hitting start (commented out a line in Start button test() code), although as soon as it switches to another pattern (even if you have it loop A0 -> A0) it will be erased. That's just the nature of having it auto-load patterns. I could have it auto-save whatever is currently there when you hit start, but that might overwrite the first pattern of a loop, so leaving it under user control is still the better option (I think).

MIDI junk - I'll look at it running on the iPad and see what's happening - been doing most testing on the computer with no MIDI involved.

Also - I noticed you changed the on color for the main pad area. Intentional?

For humanize, there's a way to add/subtract random amounts of velocity to each step (with some coding of course). Do you want each row to be different amounts of humanize, same value for all rows, selective rows only, ???

I can also change my pop-up slider to a MultiSlider to match yours.

Good work on the velocity and on changing the Offest to a button.

tater01

Post by tater01 » 12 Nov 2016 15:04

Hey there, thanks again for all your work. I might have never figured this out or been learning code for six months until I figured it out. Already been working on my whole layout for a couple months, and even took time away from it. The learning curve is steep when you don't know **** about programming! So thanks for helping me finish it. The stepsequencer is the last piece of the layout. Then I can get back to playing guitar!

I didn't change any colors. If you're talking about the stepswitch pads changing color, its because they are tied to the velocity fader now. Lemur changes their colors from almost see through at low velocity to almost white at high velocity. If you're talking about the offset/velocity/humanize buttons I made, I just didn't match the colors yet.

And I think one humanize fader to affect all the stepswitches at once is sufficient.

Thanks again for asking and feedback!

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 13 Nov 2016 16:52

I'll upload a commented version with a basic humanize algorithm set up with hopefully enough comments in it to allow you to tweak what it does for your own needs.
The plan is to finish commenting, take a look at the MIDI data, then add in a humanize menu (I'm going to allow you to be able to adjust the amount of humanization per row/drum sound) with some basic randomization and you can take it from there.