2 iPads using Lemur, instances names conflict.

Discuss problems and solutions.
dtech
2 iPads using Lemur, instances names conflict.

Post by dtech » 20 Oct 2016 10:58

Lemur instances names are hardcoded inside app on ipads (as "Lemur") .
The problem is that identical names are recognised by Reaktor when using more than one iPad,
randomly switching wrong ip addresses/ports to devices when loading projects/ensembles.
Is there a way to use 2 ipads with Lemur without names conflicts?
Thanks for your help.

dtech

Re: 2 iPads using Lemur, instances names conflict.

Post by dtech » 28 Oct 2016 00:43

Ok, solved this issue.
Lemur instance names are hardcoded in device as "Lemur", but you can use a different name without issues in Reaktor OSC setup.
The best way is to launch an instance of Reaktor, go in OSC settings and manually add all Lemur instances needed.
They will be saved to Reaktor, then you can reload others Reaktor instances and they will show up in OSC too.
Reaktor OSC settings are for ALL Reaktor instances, not just one.
You can have up to 8 OSC devices (including others Reaktor instances) automatically scanned.
If you wish to use more you will need to manually add them.
Im using 16 OSC instances in Reaktor atm (plugins and iPads) without any problem.
Also you will have to change parameters destination names for OSC messages to the correct Lemur instance.
Here my setup in Reaktor for 4 iPads using USB connection as an example (iPads ip address were manually configured in MyWi) :

iPad 1
Name: Lemur
ip Lemur: 192.168.20.4
ip Osx: 192.168.20.5 (destination)

iPad 2
Name: Lemur2
ip Lemur: 192.168.20.6
ip Osx: 192.168.20.7 (destination)

iPad 3
Name: Lemur3
Lemur: 192.168.20.8
ip Osx: 192.168.20.9 (destination)

iPad 4
Name: Lemur4
Lemur: 192.168.20.10
ip Osx: 192.168.20.11 (destination)

Hope it helps.

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 29 Oct 2016 22:06

thank you for this tutorial, I had the same experience with Reaktor. Sorry for not replying earlier, I was away from my computer and couldn't exactly remember.

Another important thing seems to me to have static IP addresses when you work with many devices. Dynamic IP's may be the same the next day (next reboot), or not be the same (for example if you add an additional device to the network). With static IP's you can integrate any device on the fly, and they usually recognise each other, so you can instantly start working.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

docam

Post by docam » 09 Feb 2017 00:22

Phil999 wrote:thank you for this tutorial, I had the same experience with Reaktor. Sorry for not replying earlier, I was away from my computer and couldn't exactly remember.

Another important thing seems to me to have static IP addresses when you work with many devices. Dynamic IP's may be the same the next day (next reboot), or not be the same (for example if you add an additional device to the network). With static IP's you can integrate any device on the fly, and they usually recognise each other, so you can instantly start working.
Sorry for late reply (I'm new Lemur user) : when you're using DHCP protocol on LAN/WLAN segment, from your DHCP server you can affect fixed IP address as permanent lease, for each (known) MAC address, it works fine too. By this way, the IP address is reserved for specific machine (by MAC address). Hope I'm clear in this explanation.