Is this possible to achieve?

Discuss problems and solutions.
niu
Is this possible to achieve?

Post by niu » 10 Apr 2015 23:50

Hello Liine community,

I'm new to the forum and I don't have Lemur yet, but I'm planning to buy it soon with an iPad, mostly for sound design and post production. I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to use it in a specific way for a live setting, but I couldn't find any answers online, so I hope that you guys can help me out.

I play in three different bands and my rig includes a keyboard, 3 external sound modules, an external multi-effect processor, a drum machine and an electronic drumpad. Right now everything is hooked up to a computer through a MIDI interface/patchbay. I want to be able to keep the same configuration, but without the laptop.

I'd like to create a template in Lemur where I can press a button that sends MIDI signals to all this gear without the need of a computer. I want to create one single button for each song and every time that I press it, MIDI data (program change, bank select, volume, pan, etc) are automatically sent where I want to.

Basically I want to press one button and I'm ready to play. Is this possible to do without a computer? Do I need any additional hardware and/or adapter?

Thanks in advance!

ChiLam

Re: Is this possible to achieve?

Post by ChiLam » 11 Apr 2015 00:28

So long as it doesn't involve Midiclock sync or sequencing you should be able to achieve it in Lemur.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 11 Apr 2015 02:34

You will of course need an appropriate MIDi I/O for the iPad ...
I would suggest looking at the i connectivity stuff which would work both without or with your computer.
It would also allow both USB and 5pin connections....
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

niu

Post by niu » 11 Apr 2015 07:32

ChiLam wrote:So long as it doesn't involve Midiclock sync or sequencing you should be able to achieve it in Lemur.
Do you know how?
Macciza wrote:You will of course need an appropriate MIDi I/O for the iPad ...
I would suggest looking at the i connectivity stuff which would work both without or with your computer.
It would also allow both USB and 5pin connections....
I saw the iConnectivity products but they only have 4 sets of MIDI in/out (plus USB and ethernet) and I need to connect more than 4 instruments. Not all of them have MIDI thru, so I don't really want to daisy chain 'em. Would it work if I do it this way? :?

iPad/iPhone + Lemur --> iConnect --> MIDI Patchbay ---> Everything Else

I don't want to spend all that money just to discover that it doesn't work :x
It'd be great if there was a way to directly connect Lemur to the MIDI patchbay.

EDIT:
Oh and the keyboard needs to control all the other devices!

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » 11 Apr 2015 12:59

Does any of your gear accept midi via USB? If so the iConnectmidi4+ can be connected to a powered midi hub to cater to another 8xdevices. If not then yes, you could use an additional midi splitter/patchbay to send data to more DIN connected devices.

I really suggest you contact the iConnectmidi folks to discuss your specific needs regarding the devices you wish to use, just to make sure.

As regards sending midi commands to your connected gear and how to do it, you will need to read the manual or join the facebook lemur forum set up by one of the members here - it contains some great tutorials on getting started and creating templates.

niu

Post by niu » 11 Apr 2015 19:25

ChiLam wrote:Does any of your gear accept midi via USB? If so the iConnectmidi4+ can be connected to a powered midi hub to cater to another 8xdevices. If not then yes, you could use an additional midi splitter/patchbay to send data to more DIN connected devices.

I really suggest you contact the iConnectmidi folks to discuss your specific needs regarding the devices you wish to use, just to make sure.

As regards sending midi commands to your connected gear and how to do it, you will need to read the manual or join the facebook lemur forum set up by one of the members here - it contains some great tutorials on getting started and creating templates.
Thank you ChiLam, I will try to contact the guys at iConnectivity. It looks like the best option, I'm just not sure if it's going to work :lol:

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 11 Apr 2015 20:29

As others noted, definitely achievable....to put some things into perspective Im currently dong something similar only with a computer, and its residing DAW and plug ins.

i could probably make it all happen with ONE button as you ask, but for my own purposes a few button presses change:

4 synth presets (program change)
16 sample selectors (CC)
16 level faders (CC)
Around 16 x 4 parameters such as decay, sample pitch etc etc all via midi,messages.

so, if you can connect Lemur yto your devices, it can surely handle the midi messages plus their "storage" of values

(Preset saving in Lemur)

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 11 Apr 2015 23:50

niu wrote:Hello Liine community,

I'm new to the forum and I don't have Lemur yet, but I'm planning to buy it soon with an iPad, mostly for sound design and post production. I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to use it in a specific way for a live setting, but I couldn't find any answers online, so I hope that you guys can help me out.

I play in three different bands and my rig includes a keyboard, 3 external sound modules, an external multi-effect processor, a drum machine and an electronic drumpad. Right now everything is hooked up to a computer through a MIDI interface/patchbay. I want to be able to keep the same configuration, but without the laptop.

I'd like to create a template in Lemur where I can press a button that sends MIDI signals to all this gear without the need of a computer. I want to create one single button for each song and every time that I press it, MIDI data (program change, bank select, volume, pan, etc) are automatically sent where I want to.

Basically I want to press one button and I'm ready to play. Is this possible to do without a computer? Do I need any additional hardware and/or adapter?

Thanks in advance!
iPad (running lemur+app) -> Apple Camera Connector Kit -> Emu XMIDI 1x1 USB to MIDI cable -> Digital Music MX-8 patchbay (MIDI 6 in, 8 out). Main keyboard -> MX-8, all other gear to MX-8. Set iPad input + keyboard input on the MX-8 to processor A for merging, set A to output to all other devices.

Total cost (minus the iPad/Lemur, other MIDI cables) : $30 (Apple CCK), + $32 (Emu XMIDI cable) + $120 (MX-8) = $182.

This is a subset of what I have set up in my home studio (there's also a separate 16x32 MIDI patchbay plus lots of other audio patchbays, processors, synths, etc).

niu

Post by niu » 12 Apr 2015 22:26

oldgearguy wrote:iPad (running lemur+app) -> Apple Camera Connector Kit -> Emu XMIDI 1x1 USB to MIDI cable -> Digital Music MX-8 patchbay (MIDI 6 in, 8 out). Main keyboard -> MX-8, all other gear to MX-8. Set iPad input + keyboard input on the MX-8 to processor A for merging, set A to output to all other devices.

Total cost (minus the iPad/Lemur, other MIDI cables) : $30 (Apple CCK), + $32 (Emu XMIDI cable) + $120 (MX-8) = $182.

This is a subset of what I have set up in my home studio (there's also a separate 16x32 MIDI patchbay plus lots of other audio patchbays, processors, synths, etc).
Dude that's exactly what I needed to know! iConnect looks cool but maybe I don't even need all of its functions and a simple USB/MIDI cable might work as well.
If you're currently using this setup and it works I'm going to copy it :mrgreen:

oldgearguy
Regular

Post by oldgearguy » 13 Apr 2015 01:18

niu wrote:
oldgearguy wrote:iPad (running lemur+app) -> Apple Camera Connector Kit -> Emu XMIDI 1x1 USB to MIDI cable -> Digital Music MX-8 patchbay (MIDI 6 in, 8 out). Main keyboard -> MX-8, all other gear to MX-8. Set iPad input + keyboard input on the MX-8 to processor A for merging, set A to output to all other devices.

Dude that's exactly what I needed to know! iConnect looks cool but maybe I don't even need all of its functions and a simple USB/MIDI cable might work as well.
If you're currently using this setup and it works I'm going to copy it :mrgreen:
Glad to help. Download and read the MX-8 manual to make sure it'll handle your needs: http://www.voodoolab.com/manuals/mx8_manual.pdf

note that it's been a while since I set up my config... You'd have to assign the iPad input to A and the master keyboard to B (on the far right of the screen) then choose M (for merged) as your input to the other devices. the MX-8 manual has this exactly described on page 4 of the manual.