Scripts receiving MIDI CCs -- wtf?

Discuss problems and solutions.
oldgearguy
Regular
Scripts receiving MIDI CCs -- wtf?

Post by oldgearguy » 04 Feb 2015 11:01

I know I sound like a broken record -- "Lemur is not properly documented and it causes us to waste a lot of time"

Goal - have some controls in a template respond to MIDI CCs
Restrictions - only receive, not send; only respond if the MIDI target and channel match

Since I can't see a way to use the built-in controls for an object to receive only, I created an ON MIDI script to receive incoming Control Change messages on MIDI channels 1-16. I created 8 of these small scripts, one for each MIDI Target (0-7).

Everyone knows a MIDI Control Change message is structured like this: Bn cc vv where n is the MIDI channel (0-15), cc is the MIDI CC (1-127) and vv is the value (0-127)
So my code for MIDI Target 0 looks like this:

// midiTgt is user settable from 0-7, midiCh is user settable and internally is 0-15
if ((midiTgt == 0) && ((MIDI_ARGS[0] & 0x0F) == midiCh))
processCC(MIDI_ARGS[1], MIDI_ARGS[2]);

processCC() has a if/else structure to set the appropriate control to the value from the second parameter, except that it's never called in the above example.

The reason this fairly standard code doesn't work is that Lemur does not pass in the MIDI CC stream as-is. Instead, they chose to reformat it, maybe to make developers lives easier, but since they didn't bother to document what they did, it makes life harder temporarily.

So, instead of receiving Bn cc vv as MIDI_ARGS [0], [1], [2] we receive cc vv n as MIDI_ARGS [0], [1], [2]

If this was documented somewhere, it *would* be easier to code, since the data is nicely broken out for us. So, my above code now becomes:

// midiTgt is user settable from 0-7, midiCh is user settable and internally is 0-15
if ((midiTgt == 0) && (MIDI_ARGS[2] == midiCh))
processCC(MIDI_ARGS[0], MIDI_ARGS[1]);

Maybe this will help someone else debug a problem when they attempt to process incoming MIDI messages. I'm sure the Lemur code does something similar to most incoming messages. We know for a fact that the initial 'F0' is stripped off of incoming SYSEX messages (for example).

schoko

Re: Scripts receiving MIDI CCs -- wtf?

Post by schoko » 07 Feb 2015 18:05

Hi!

Thanks for that hint...
Anyway, maybe you could help me out a little bit?

I have defined a PAD sending out a Programm change to Kontakt, in Kontakt i send CC (127) and a specified value back.
Regarding this information i want to realize a dynamic labeling.

When a different value is received i want to change the names over the buttons(maybe also show and hide some buttons and labels).

Its really just:

get CC 127 Value 1
show label1 label2 label3 label4

get CC 127 Value 2
show label5 label6 label7 label8

The labels have to be defined in an array..

Any help would be really great !

thanks
schoko (klaus)

exeterdown

Re: Scripts receiving MIDI CCs -- wtf?

Post by exeterdown » 21 Feb 2017 13:22

This sounds like it's going to be a huge help. Can you share the patch so I can see how to integrate this stuff?

I'm looking to create a patch that sends a "Send Controller Snapshop" sysex command to my Nord Engine on load.
This updates the values of all the controls on screen to match the internal ones of the Nord.
When Lemur receives a preset change message from the Nord it triggers the snap-shot message again and updates all the controllers.

I've got a patch running where I can move the Lemur knob and the G2 follows along nicely.
But when I move the knob on the G2 to Lemur takes 5 seconds or so to catch up, and skips around a lot.

Is this a MIDI feedback loop?