iPad step sequencer timing and missed notes problems.

Discuss problems and solutions.
DJRickDawson
iPad step sequencer timing and missed notes problems.

Post by DJRickDawson » 10 Apr 2014 17:50

so yesterday I discovered there was a free update to v5 lemur. and that it had step sequencer functionality.

I have struggled to I'm the part connect with wireless methods, so I bought the iRig MIDI.

I have tested the new supplied templates with the iRig MIDI to ableton connecting the MIDI to my Allen and Heath xone 4D
I loaded to a blank track in ableton a drum rack.
lemur always is unreliable. timing is random, with either ableton or lemur or neither as the timing source.

I thought that I'd try the Moog MIDI only drum sequencer, with the same settings in ableton.
this works perfectly...

any help?

I don't know the programming of lemur... it's something I'd like to learn though.

the supplied templates should work right?

DJRickDawson

Re: iPad step sequencer timing and missed notes problems.

Post by DJRickDawson » 11 Apr 2014 01:09

forgot to say that I'm using an iPad2 and my laptop is a core i7 running windows 8.1 64bit and ableton live 9

saveas

Post by saveas » 11 Apr 2014 09:47

Having the same problems here.
Cannot use onClock scripts and sequencer objects in a reliable way.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 11 Apr 2014 13:36

Hi
WiFi will always potentially have issues, even with the most optimised setup, thats just the way it is for real time stuff over WiFi . . .

I use an iConnectMIDI for serious timebases stuff and have had no real problems across standard range of tempos - up to 240 bpm
iPad 2, iConnectMIDI USB connection to iMac i7 . . .

MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

electrofux
Regular

Post by electrofux » 11 Apr 2014 16:06

I have an iconnect Midi2+ too and i experienced dropped out notes on the sequencer objects too (like 1 every 2-3 bars) even when not slaving. Though i have to say on my onclock driven sequencer i dont see any dropped notes it works perfectly (apart from the fact that i cant do swing or gatelength).
Wifi is definitly not an option for connecting Lemur and a Soundgenerator. For controlling parameters it is ok but not for sending timing critical note messages.

But i have to make another test because now Reason 7.1 has come out with improved Midi Clock timing and new settings and maybe this fixes something.

Macciza, when you connect the drumsequencer template to a drummodule connected to your icoonect and let it run, you dont have any dropped notes at all?

P.S:dont mess around too much with the swing setting. I have experienced weird things happening when swing is too high.

DJRickDawson

Post by DJRickDawson » 11 Apr 2014 20:16

I hard wire my iPad.using the iRig MIDI.

have given up with Wi-Fi as I couldn't make a connection.

the Moog step drum app is perfectly stable.

I'd you try the Moog app electrofux, is it stable?

this leads me to think that it is lemur with the problem...

electrofux
Regular

Post by electrofux » 11 Apr 2014 23:03

Gonna check the sequencers over irig and iconnect midi tomorrow. Today i checked all sequencers triggering Funk Box on the Ipad, slaved and with internal sync and it was rock solid. Tested with 5.02 though and the problems i observed were mainly when trigggering and external Program.

electrofux
Regular

Post by electrofux » 11 Apr 2014 23:13

Ok just did the test with iconnect midi2+ and Reasons Kong and it is fine. Don't see any more dropped notes even when slaved.
Looking good :-) This is good fun now.

Maybe 5.02 changed something.

DJRickDawson

Post by DJRickDawson » 12 Apr 2014 08:55

must have auto got the update yesterday... I see no changes to the respective problems though. I still have them.

I changed to this Chinese interface, instead of going through the Xone:4D, and still got the same problems. (dropped notes)

the iRig MIDI out led only shows up when I actually get a trigger.

I am certain it is lemur with the problem.

electrofux
Regular

Post by electrofux » 12 Apr 2014 09:42

I will test the Irig tonight and see whats going on. I had the same problems like you and i don't know why they are gone now. The patchnotes dont say anything about it.

But what do you mean by:

"the iRig MIDI out led only shows up when I actually get a trigger."

Wouldnt that be normal? Or dou you mean it should have shown more triggers but since Lemur dropped them they never get to the interface?

Also i had to update my IOS lately so maybe this changed something.

But with the iconnect Midi yesterday it was a different story. I am totally liking this now.