Reassigning Midi channel for a full set of controls

Discuss problems and solutions.
mssngmrblz
Reassigning Midi channel for a full set of controls

Post by mssngmrblz » 05 Jun 2013 01:02

Here's the problem:

For my Live performance template setup works like this....

Tab1 - custom loader that loads the appropriate controls for that track/scene
Tab2 - DJM style mixer i created for mixing (so i could sell my mixer and buy several plasma's for a video wall)
Tab3 - Mu for control over Ableton

Now that LiveControl is out...i'm doing the same sort of setup

Tab1 - custom loader that loads the appropriate controls for that track/scene
Tab2 - DJM style mixer i created for mixing (so i could sell my mixer and buy several plasma's for a video wall)
Tab3 - Launch (LiveControl)
Tab4 - Modulate (LiveControl)
Tab5 - Play (LiveControl)
Tab6 - Sequencer (LiveControl)

The problem is my live set is already mapped on channel1 for my mixer..OOPS that CONFLICTS with LiveControl!!!

How can I change the midi mappings on all the controls in my mixer to another channel without having to do it manually one by one?

(PLEASE LET THERE BE AN EASY WAY)

Thanks in advance!!!

Patrick (MssngMrblz)

Softcore
Regular

Re: Reassigning Midi channel for a full set of controls

Post by Softcore » 05 Jun 2013 07:19

First of all - better make sure that your custom interfaces (tabs) are AFTER the Live Control ones not before (because there's a script in LC2 that sends related sysex midi messages according to if we have chosen interface 1,2,3 or 4 which LC2 already assumes as its own).

So as an example

Interface (tab) 1 - Launch (LiveControl)
Interface 2 - Modulate (LiveControl)
Interface 3 - Play (LiveControl)
Interface 4- Sequencer (LiveControl)
Interface 5 - custom loader that loads the appropriate controls for that track/scene
Interface 6 - DJM style mixer i created for mixing (so i could sell my mixer and buy several plasma's for a video wall)

Secondly, instead of changing ALL the midi channels of ALL your mappings so that they dont conflict with LC2, the *easier* way would be to just change the "target" for your custom controls and then enable that target only as "remote" and/or "track" inside Ableton Live while at the same time you make sure that "remote" is NOT enabled for the LC2 target (port). This makes sure that no CC recieved from LC2 is used upon custom, static mappings and that no CC received from your custom objects - interfaces - tabs is used as LC2 message!
Last edited by Softcore on 05 Dec 2013 09:53, edited 2 times in total.

mssngmrblz

Post by mssngmrblz » 06 Jun 2013 01:20

Ok...so Thanks for the info about the tab ordering...that shouldn't be an issue but a great nugget for saving me a load of frustration! WHEW!

so about the *easier* way you suggested ....to confirm. I will still have to change the target on each control manually one by one...but if i assign that target in Live the same as before...all my MIDI mappings in Live will still be in tact?

that's reasonable i suppose!

Thank you SO MUCH softcore! You ROCK!

mssngmrblz

Post by mssngmrblz » 06 Jun 2013 01:21

I've used software before (namely Maya3d) that has an 'attribute spreadsheet' where you could sort and change groups of attributes with a few clicks.

works nicely and it's fast!

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 06 Jun 2013 05:51

Yeah that was my idea when I said "easier" - you still need to change the target for ALL the objects you have created (or scripted outputs) but at least, you wont have to change the midi mappings inside Ableton Live.

Agreed, there should be a fast way to change attributes-properties-settings of all the objects inside a template. Something like a list-window where you could for example arrange all the objects according to a column attribute and then be able to change them. This would make changing targets, midi channels, or assignments in Lemur templates way easier.

mssngmrblz

Post by mssngmrblz » 07 Jun 2013 14:36

oh BTW do you know how to rearrange the tabs (or interfaces)?

They seem to default to alphabetical order left to right.

is this how we have to live?

Thanks again for all your help!

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 07 Jun 2013 14:40

Yup this is how we have to live...I usually put numbers in my templates to order them how I want them ( 1- mixer, 2 - effects, 3 - keys and so on)