faders stutter when drawing CC commands?

Discuss problems and solutions.
alexpfeffer
faders stutter when drawing CC commands?

Post by alexpfeffer » 23 Jan 2013 13:41

Hey all,

I got a weird problem and I guess it is Lemur controller 4 related.
I have a little self made template and I got 4 faders going to control CC01, 07, 11 and 64 with it.
However, when I want to record etc. a CC01 "modwheel" lane inside Cubase it works fine for a bit but then starts to stutter. I can't dran curves or fine variations anymore. It feels as if I would run an extensive game on a crappy graphics card :)
Can anyone help me with this?

I am in Cubase, Win7, got Lemur 4 connected with loopMIDI, my machine is pretty powerful.

Joe Soap
Regular

Re: faders stutter when drawing CC commands?

Post by Joe Soap » 23 Jan 2013 15:20

Does it by any chance work fine until you're overdubbing CCs (writing automation into a lane with existing automation data)?

The reason I ask is, IIRC Cubase has several modes for writing automation, and you may be running afoul of one of these. It's been literally years and four major version releases since I used Cubase in anger, but that sprang to mind immediately.

This might be further complicated by any lane-stacking overdub functionality added in more recent versions.

Just a shot in the dark really, you haven't exactly given us much to go on but it definitely sounds like the fader is receiving information (feedback) from Cubase to follow automation while you're attempting to write new.

Joe Soap
Regular

Post by Joe Soap » 23 Jan 2013 23:37

Thought about this some more. This is probably all in-Lemur actually and not anything to do with Cubase write-modes at all . . . though the cause is of a similar nature.

You need to make it so when you touch the fader, you override incoming msgs TO the fader from Cubase. My guess is as things stand, when you move the fader it's getting those movements echoed back to the fader which then tries to update Cubase which . . . howlround.

There's a bunch of threads on this scattered about the place, if I happen across one on my travels I'll post a link - for specifics, which I'm hazy on.

Joe Soap
Regular

Post by Joe Soap » 24 Jan 2013 05:13

The z variable of the fader seems to be what you need to gate feedback.

alexpfeffer

Post by alexpfeffer » 25 Jan 2013 14:32

Hey Joe,

thanks a lot! I actually don't know what to do. I tried a few things you mentioned. My other controllers work fine without any problems. There is nothing sending nor do I have any loop issues.
I also unticked the z controller in the Lemur editor and relaunched Lemur - nothing!

The weird thing I don't understand is, it worked perfectly in Lemur 3!

In the meantime I try to find some more links here on the forum. Thank you!

alexpfeffer

Post by alexpfeffer » 25 Jan 2013 17:29

Ok, I dug down a bit deeper and realized that I was using Lemur 3 on my old Mac mostly. Now I upgraded to a new Win 7 machine and so I believe that the real problem is actually the Windows network and its adhoc connection. I am not sure really, but it is not Cubase fault, nor it is Lemurs fault since it also happens in MIDIDesigner with each different adhoc hosts!

So it really seems that the problem is more Windows based!

Joe Soap
Regular

Post by Joe Soap » 25 Jan 2013 18:19

Win 7, okay - same as myself actually.

I have no issues with Win 7 and ad hoc (static IP, Bluetooth and encryption disabled) - but this isn't anything like ideal or robust enough for a gig IMO.

It seems an odd symptom for WiFi connection issues though.

whatisvalis
Regular

Post by whatisvalis » 25 Jan 2013 21:02

Do you have any sort of midi feedback happening? What are your settings for Loopmidi, daemon, and Cubase ports?

Also might be worth making sure you have the latest version of the Editor, and resync your template.

Joe Soap
Regular

Post by Joe Soap » 25 Jan 2013 22:01

alexpfeffer wrote: I also unticked the z controller in the Lemur editor and relaunched Lemur - nothing!
I don't think that's quite how using the z var to override incoming messages to an object works. All you did there is turn off any OUTGOING z var messages FROM the object?

I'm not being obtuse here BTW, leading the horse to water as it were - I genuinely don't know the specifics of the "z var to override incoming message" technique.