newbie orientation querry

Discuss problems and solutions.
phidelity
newbie orientation querry

Post by phidelity » 05 Nov 2012 21:06

Hello Lemur Community

I am a new user and new to OSC with a few questions .

1) I have discovered an unusual behaviour in with the multiball mapping. In particular with a project that was part of the tutorials in the lemur manual. The project is a multiball object that has its number of balls controlled by two pads, incrementing and decrementing the number of balls (page 77).

What happens that seems abnormal is if you run the project with 1 multiball and map that ball's x & y values via the osc "client" all works fine (In my case /Multiball/x and ../y). When you increase the number of balls the original mapping is lost and it becomes necessary to remap as a result of the OSC multiball object having a new identity, being /Multiball/x//1.

I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the osc protocol in that all singular objects don't require the code "//1 or //0" to be concatenated to designate the first object in an array or if its an implementation oversight by Liine or a client implementation issue .

It's not a huge issue but a tedius thing to keep track of with complex mappings particullarly when only one object is required for certain controller mappings and you eventually want to increase the number of objects. What I mean is if i prepare any sounds mapping with the intent to use multiple balls then the first ball will always be an object without any mapping just a place holder to keep all other balls' mappings in place.

Also its such a handy piece of code that i could imagine myself utilizing frequently but having one object always taking up space without any function is counter to the point of the code.

Hopefully that's clear. Any suggestions how to circumvent this issue?

2) Is it possible to import a project from the Lemur app that has been saved on the ipad to the Lemur editor?

3) Alt Drag and Drop from the project editor to the library doesn't work on 10.6. I read early on that was the key cmd but that functionality isn't working here (user error or did..?

rafe

kyma latest macpro 10.6.8, kyma connect latest, lemur app latests ios6.01
mac pro 2.8 ghz 2x Quad, 10.6.8, cubase 6.53, zebra 2.6, Ni Komplete 8, Ozone 4/5, Trash 1/2 ex5, fs1r, fface 800, motu mtp av, ipad2 - lemur 4

Macciza
Regular

Re: newbie orientation querry

Post by Macciza » 09 Nov 2012 07:43

Hi

1. Send us a few more details re what is processing the OSC and how.
Not exactly sure what you mean here in terms of 'mapping' and which 'client' you are referring to.
Or are you trying to use Custom Address ? I'm not sure if that would work. Use the default address.
You should end up with an array of varying number of values, and your receiver would need to deal with that
The alternative would be to script up a solution based on your particular requirements.

2. iPad files can be transferred via iTunes on the Apps page at the bottom.

3. Alt Drag/Drop of Highlighted objects should work on 10.6 - working here on 10.6.8
Remember to select the objects you want to save as a Module
It should present a dialog box asking you to name the Module.

Cheers
MM

ps this could be worth checking out too - http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/152/
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

phidelity

Post by phidelity » 09 Nov 2012 20:18

Hi Macciza

thanks for the reply I'll look into #2 and 3 later in the day.

1) I am sending Osc messages via Kyma connect to Kyma via a wifi network created on osc target 0 in lemur settings. To restate I have followed the Multiball script tutorial with the pads that increase and decrease the # of multiballs. Very handy example!

When i use that object the following behaviour is exhibited:

If i have only one multiball and move that ball Kyma receives the message "/Mulitball/x, /Multiball/y, Multiball/z" - (call this message set 1). Once I increase the number of Multiballs then that same first Mulitball sends the message "/Multiball/x//1, Multiball/y//1, Multiball/z//1" - (call this message set 2) which Kyma sees as a different message and the original mappings to controllers assigned to message set 1 are not working because message set 2 is what Kyma is receiving when that same multiball object is moved.

Have I clarified the problem? I hope so and I hope I am understanding what information you needed.

Rafe
mac pro 2.8 ghz 2x Quad, 10.6.8, cubase 6.53, zebra 2.6, Ni Komplete 8, Ozone 4/5, Trash 1/2 ex5, fs1r, fface 800, motu mtp av, ipad2 - lemur 4

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 10 Nov 2012 09:16

Hi
Can you check the Kyma documentation on how it deals with OSC array values as I think it is adding the extra address part
The message from Lemur should be something like /MultiBall/x 0.2345 for a single ball and /MultiBall/x 0.2345 0.1234 0.3456 for three balls
The actual addressing does not change the way that you are seeing it change - so Kyma must be doing . .
Have a look at the project I mentioned in the last post perhaps sending values separately would work better with Kyma
Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]