midi thru

Discuss problems and solutions.
wul
Regular
midi thru

Post by wul » 26 Oct 2012 15:17

i made a template for the akai synthstation which converted the mod wheel into any controller, it also used the 4 top buttons and the prog change buttons this works great, but i have to use the midi bridge app to divert note on/off messages from lemur. because the only way i can find to achieve midi thru, through lemur is by using a script , this works ish but the latency is high and there are some stuck notes.
is there an obvious way that i'm missing that midi thru is achieved without using a script?

ForestCat
Regular

Re: midi thru

Post by ForestCat » 23 May 2016 15:56

Well, since no one else ever responded, I will, even though it's years late. This issue seems to be some kind of 800 lb gorilla that nobody from Liine (or anyone else, for that matter...) will acknowledge/address. 4 years later, EVEN ON AN A7 DEVICE, I can absolutely confirm that the latency when using an onMIDI script to simply pass unmodified MIDI data through to the output is HORRENDOUS, on the order of 150ms OR MORE, and, IMO, represents a substantial defect/inefficiency in the underlying code used to parse/retransmit the data from/to coreMIDI h/w MIDI ports. Hell, even a 16mHz Arduino can do this flawlessly w/ relatively small serial buffers & cpu to spare. Like you, I had to use MIDIBridge to route tempo-critical data around Lemur. In fact, MIDIBridge, using the same coreMIDI driver/iOS resources, does this IN THE BACKGROUND with NO audible latency. Shame on you guys. When I bought Lemur it, it was $50, I once had high hopes of being able to use it's rich event-driven scripting as a 'MIDI Processor' for conditionally re-mapping/scaling controllers, channelizing, etc. My last hope was that this would be fixed in the Android version, but since there are no plans of EVER supporting a h/w MIDI interface connected directly (via USBOTG) to an android, (i.e. no computers, 'daemons', etc.), I guess we'll never know, especially since Lemur now appears to have been abandoned & no longer supported. Too bad.
// rantOff

midikinetics
Regular

Post by midikinetics » 24 May 2016 15:44

There must be something else going on. I regularly get under 20ms latency on both Mac/PC with even dense MIDI throughput streams on WiFi. Even faster with hardware. See pic-- this is an iPad 2 connected via WiFi going in and out Cubase 8.5 on El Capitan.

Lemur's real time performance is heavily tied to its frame rates so if you have an interface that is bogging it down it could explain what is happening. There is a free Lemur module called FPS Tracker that will show you pretty well how your interface is performing. The max theoretical FPS is 60.

HTH,
MOH
IMG_0491.PNG
IMG_0491.PNG (57.35KiB)Viewed 2393 times

ForestCat
Regular

Post by ForestCat » 24 May 2016 23:18

Hi midikinetics. To be sue we're talking about the same thing, could you try the test template from this thread w/ an iOS h/w MIDI interface?

https://forum.liine.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5410

I've tried it w/ an iRigMIDI, MIDIMobilizerII, and a brand new iConnectMIDI 4+. Remember, I'm talking about:

iOS DIN MIDI In ---> onMIDI()---> midiout()---> iOS DIN MIDI Out

signal flow

If you can tell me how to get DIN MIDI data into a Lemur device, optionally modify it, and send it out again as DIN MIDI data with no audible latency, I'll owe you a beer and Liine an apology, which I'll happily do if I'm wrong about this.

NOTE: In spite of REPEATED cries to the board admin, this forum still WILL NOT NOTIFY ME via email of replies to subscribed threads. Keep that in mind if I'm not quick w/ my replies, I need to physically 'check in', lol.