Some teething questions

Discuss problems and solutions.
dhjdhj
Some teething questions

Post by dhjdhj » 18 Jul 2012 13:32

I've succcessfully used Lemur to send info back to Max with no problems via OSC.

I now want to be able to send stuff from Max to Lemur. I've done a couple of trivial tests to turn on or off an LED so I know I'm able to send OSC packets from Max to the Lemur on my iPad

I've run into two issues

1) I can't figure out how to make the LED object bigger --- it's really tiny. I want to have 4 LEDs that I can flash in time to a beat.

2) I tried using the Custom Button as an alternative but the Lemur editor (latest version, just downloaded it) on my Mac will not let me see the different variables that are available (see attachment, I can see "x" but no other parameters.

Would appreciate it if someone could give me example OSC messages to change various attributes of a custom button so I can flash it on or off, or show me how to make the LED bigger.

Many thanks,
David
Attachments
screenshot_1158.png
screenshot_1158.png (24.36KiB)Viewed 3053 times

shimoda
Regular

Re: Some teething questions

Post by shimoda » 18 Jul 2012 14:35

Unfortunately for now, LEDs come in one size-useless(that's the size, though they might not be totally useless, for the most part...).

As for variables, remember that you can set some things. One way to alter things might be to write scripts attached to switches or pads that load on some change. You can use OSC to change the values you can easily get at from outside of Lemur and it will run scripts in lemur to change things like custom button size, outline on/off, etc. For now, unfortunately, you are limited to the custom button images the size they are, no bigger, no smaller. Apparently (according to rumor), some nice changes are coming to Lemur, but it seems a long wait. Things like custom LEDs that really are custom (as well as buttons that are more custom), image handling (jpegs,pngs). We can only hope.

For now I would try scripting those changes and hooking them to switches or pads to set off.

dhjdhj

Post by dhjdhj » 18 Jul 2012 16:45

Thanks for responding --- I don't really know very about this environment (and am in terrible hurry to just get something that works right now).

Would you mind very much giving me an example for what I would have to do to make a custom button or pad (or anything whose size can be contolled) flash on and off with OSC commands. That would be much appreciated.

D

dhjdhj

Post by dhjdhj » 18 Jul 2012 17:38

Well, it looks like this is not going to work anyway.

I noticed while doing some tests that there was quite a delay before the LED changed color (could be a second or so).

When I started sending it repeated packets (at a rate of 2 per second, representing 120BPM), the LED only occasionally changed color and was mostly just stuck

With that kind of delay, it's completely impractical to use it to display beats.

dhjdhj

Post by dhjdhj » 18 Jul 2012 21:07

More info --- the problem with OSC is not limited to Lemur -- I tried TouchOSC and saw the same latencies.
So then I tried using MIDI to TouchOSC and it worked perfectly fine.

So now I"m back with Lemur (which in principle works much better) and trying to test with MIDI but I'm still having trouble with the drop down boxes.

If you look at the attached screen shot, you will see that when I click on the drop down box, I just get a blank display.
I discovered if I click randomly on that blank display, I get a different kind of MIDI event so the info is there, it's just that the drop down box is not repaining.

Is there a fix for this? I'm using very latest editor that I just downloaded this morning.
Attachments
screenshot_1160.png
screenshot_1160.png (28.16KiB)Viewed 3035 times