Cannot get Lemur + iConnectMIDI + PC Win 7 x64 to work?!

Discuss problems and solutions.
bennydlyte
Cannot get Lemur + iConnectMIDI + PC Win 7 x64 to work?!

Post by bennydlyte » 11 Jul 2012 03:45

Hello all,
Sorry if this is banal but I haven't found it in my inquiries so far...
Let me first specify that I WANT a WIRED MIDI connection to take advantage of iConnectMIDI's lightning speed. With that said on my Mac, I'm presuming that is due to coreMIDI, I don't even need the daemon running and setting the ports in Lemur for D1 USB and D2 USB as From and To respectively, open up Abelton Live and BOOM, works flawlessly and crazy fast. This is wired mind you, not interested in wireless as in the case of the PC, the latency is heinous. Now, using the same physical hookups, loopMIDI to generate two ports, then the daemon to call on the virtual port from loopMIDI (that never appear in the daemon unless I'm wireless), the problems begin here. First, again without wireless I can only really choose the same ports in Lemur as I had for the Mac cause that's what I want, right? As I said, even though when I start Ableton on the PC and it sees the loopMIDI created ports they're in now way connected to the iPad at this point even though the iConnectMIDI's device ports are selected. Now, in Ableton's MIDI preferences menu, what was displayed as two distinct D1 and D2 options on the Mac, is simply "iconnectmidi" for the in and out, the two separate options are gone. When I use the simple keyboard in Lemur the iConnectMIDI indicates that MIDI is being sent via the specified port and so far I have no reason to believe that's that problem in the chain.

With all this being said I haven't gotten the wired or wireless methods to work on the PC and the real frustrating thing is that ultimately, Liine's website example uses a Mac for their "wired MIDI" example and it just works... The manual claims that on a PC you need a program like loopMIDI and the daemon running to use MIDI but I'm now wondering if this is for a wireless connection only, no? My apologies if this is simple or due to some idiotic oversight on my part but this is really starting to burn me as this is a wicked expensive piece of kit for a simple speed boost so the several hours I'm spent on it and my PC have been wicked frustrating for it to still be a non-op.
Any help at all is extremely appreciated,
b

Zee

Re: Cannot get Lemur + iConnectMIDI + PC Win 7 x64 to work?!

Post by Zee » 05 Sep 2012 20:14

"The manual claims that on a PC you need a program like loopMIDI and the daemon running to use MIDI but I'm now wondering if this is for a wireless connection only, no?"

No, is for Wireless and for Wired.... unfortunately Liine Lemur aplication need the "daemon" always runing and Lemur only connect to this "daemon" through WIFI, that stupid reason force me to returned the IConnectMIDI to my dealer, I see no point to work wired if Lemur needs Wifi yes or yes.

I hope Liine take this into consideration for future updates.

bennydlyte

Post by bennydlyte » 05 Sep 2012 22:36

Forgot about this post, thanks for the nudge. I have actually gotten Lemur to work WITHOUT the Daemon using the iConnectMidi:

Got it to work using the ICM in Live and SSL, the issue was that in Windows, the port naming in the respective program you're using the Lemur + ICM with is geberic and why this din't dawn on me is, well, unimpressive to say the least, oh well... I felt that I should share this here with the hopes that those in the same boat get help here as far as host program midi settings.
So, in my case I am using the "USB Audio device 3" or USB D1 as my Lemur in and then "USB Audio device 4" or USB D2 as the out to the computer. The email from iConnect's killer support is below and simply states what I just said but is worth a quick glance for completeness...

"I'm sure other people are experiencing similar troubles on Windows. There doesn't seem to be a standard for port naming on Windows. Some apps will show the iConnectMIDI names from the USB descriptor (DIN 1, DIN2, USB D1... USB H8) but others show "USB Audio Device", "USB Audio Device (2)" ... "USB Audio Device (12)" for the 12 iConnectMIDI ports. Those ports are numbered in the same order as DIN 1, DIN 2, etc. so "USB Audio Device" will be "DIN 1", "USB Audio Device (2)" will be "DIN 2" etc. But if you have any other MIDI controllers connected, then you will get a longer list "USB Audio Device(n)" and there's no way to tell which is the DIN 1 port on iConnectMIDI, you just have to try them out. Once you find out which "USB Audio Device(n)" port is DIN 1, then the rest of the iConnectMIDI ports will follow in order."

easy,
b

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 06 Sep 2012 07:29

The Lemur app does not need the daemon to be running if using wired midi - -
The iConnect MIDI ports work without the daemon running - and connects directly to Lemur
The iConnect is usable with both Mac and Windows . . . without the daemon . .
Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Zee

Post by Zee » 07 Sep 2012 19:34

When I was testing IcconectMIDI and Ipad Lemur app, Windows recognizes the device with all the names, including "USB Audio Device x" D1, D2 etc, i have some MIDI hardware controllers but the tests I made on a computer without any midi controller connected,only ICM and Lemur. Windows recognizes ICM, Cubase also, but there is no communication between the Lemur, Icconect or Cubase... after 5 days looking for a solution, I returned it.

Lucky me that bought a faulty IConnectMIDI?, maybe, but dont want to try again this device without the security it works because 150€ is a lot of money.

buy it (IConnectMIDI) knowing that there is no information on the Internet about how to connect Ipad with Lemur, IConnectMIDI and PC Without Wifi. Bad experience. Show me some example documented in video on how connecting Ipad+Lemur, IConnectMIDI and PC working bidirectional without using WIFI, and how ipad+Lemur can communicated with Lemur Editor in PC with ICM without WIFI and can give the ICM another chance.