Midi issues

Discuss problems and solutions.
joebataz
Regular
Midi issues

Post by joebataz » 22 Jun 2012 08:03

I don't use the Lemur Daemon. It doesn't like some other things I use so I've been using the standard Session 1 midi settings. The world is good....
Load the new Lemur version (ignoring all the wonderful font issues) and start setting everything up. In Lemur in Setup on the iPad for MIDI 0 I use From: MyiPad : Session 1 To: HUH??????????
What happened to MyiMac:Session 1? NOT there anymore.

OK, just for jollies I restart everything and let the Daemon start up this time. Under the Daemon I use Session 1 as the Daemon In and Out. Go to the iPad now MyiMac:Session 1 is next to the To:. I select it.
No Midi from the iPad (using MidiMonitor to look for Midi) so what's going on? I turn off the Daemon and set everything to use Session 1. I go back to the iPad and To: no longer shows MyiMac, just Unassigned.

Grrrrrrrrrrr. I redo this whole sequence another couple of times and get the same results.

Finally I go back to the iPad and try some other midi apps and they're working just fine. Live, Traktor, my NI soft synths, etc. I clear Lemur from the iPad memory restart it and set both the From: and To: to MyiPad:Session 1. Now it all works.

HUH????

What in the wide world of sports isa goin' on here?????

joeb

axel_liine
Liine Staff

Re: Midi issues

Post by axel_liine » 24 Jun 2012 17:58

Hi joeb,
I'm not sure I get this, are you saying you used to communicate with your iMac MIDI Session without running the Lemur Daemon ? The Daemon is definitely necessary here as the app by itself can't see remote MIDI sessions that don't use the Lemur Daemon protocol.
Can you confirm this problematic behaviour only started with 3.2 ?

Thanks

joebataz
Regular

Post by joebataz » 24 Jun 2012 18:12

That's correct. I am NOT using the Daemon right now and I can indeed send midi to my target apps (DMXIS, Traktor Pro 2.5, Live 8.2.3, Deckadance, midiStroke, MidiMonitor). I've had issues with DMXIS and the Daemon in the past and found by just using Audio Midi Setup I could connect Lemur on the iPad2 to the iMac by using the default Session 1.
With 3.2 it only works if I connect the iPad2 to itself as I described above.

joeb

axel_liine
Liine Staff

Post by axel_liine » 24 Jun 2012 20:06

I'm surprised you managed to make it work in the past without the Lemur Daemon. The Lemur uses its own protocol to find remote MIDI ports, and therefore can not see a distant iMac session if the Daemon is not running there to "advertise" it to the Lemur.

joebataz
Regular

Post by joebataz » 24 Jun 2012 23:01

axel,

I tried to get back earlier but we had issues with our internet provider. Here is a capture of MidiMonitor and as you can see there is no daemon running. I am also including my app.It is working mostly but I am currently cleaning up a lot of duplicate code and adding some new things. If you go to the Live_Mixer page and flip the switch in the bottom left to LIVE SEND ENABLED then you should get Midi coming out of the app when you tap on the upper (bluish) pads. The lower set of pads (dark green) controls what is in the top set. The red set of pads at the bottom left of Live_Mixer will send out midi without the ENABLED switch on. The buttons across the bottom are setup to send midi notes to an Abelton Live midi track and also control playing and stopping the transport. On the right the sliders control a 4 band EQ VST that I can control live. The Sequencer page (which is where I'm working now) has a Traktor tab that controls the 1 & 2 Traktor audio decks. All of this works WITHOUT the daemon. Let me know if you need me to try anything else. The app does have a TON of code and the Setup page is a fully functional keyboard.

HTH,

joeb
Attachments
midi.jpg.zip
screen shot of midi working without daemon
(141.13KiB)Downloaded 140 times
LDJ.jzml.zip
Lemur template
(22.35KiB)Downloaded 176 times

joebataz
Regular

Post by joebataz » 24 Jun 2012 23:03

To the Lemur community:

Feel free to download and use any of the code I have just sent to axel. A lot of it is the result of help from this forum so it's your code too. Its primarily meant to record cue changes to be sent to a DMXIS interface. The interface needs a midi note on channel 15 and 16 to chose which lighting/effects to fire off at a position in the audio. If anyone needs the Live template let me know and I'll send it.

joeb

DUH......

one of the buttons on the Live_Mixer page (white right pointing arrow) uses midiStroke to send a shift-space keystroke to Live to allow playback to start from where the playback was stopped.

jb

axel_liine
Liine Staff

Post by axel_liine » 25 Jun 2012 08:10

joebataz wrote:axel,

I tried to get back earlier but we had issues with our internet provider. Here is a capture of MidiMonitor and as you can see there is no daemon running. I am also including my app.It is working mostly but I am currently cleaning up a lot of duplicate code and adding some new things. If you go to the Live_Mixer page and flip the switch in the bottom left to LIVE SEND ENABLED then you should get Midi coming out of the app when you tap on the upper (bluish) pads. The lower set of pads (dark green) controls what is in the top set. The red set of pads at the bottom left of Live_Mixer will send out midi without the ENABLED switch on. The buttons across the bottom are setup to send midi notes to an Abelton Live midi track and also control playing and stopping the transport. On the right the sliders control a 4 band EQ VST that I can control live. The Sequencer page (which is where I'm working now) has a Traktor tab that controls the 1 & 2 Traktor audio decks. All of this works WITHOUT the daemon. Let me know if you need me to try anything else. The app does have a TON of code and the Setup page is a fully functional keyboard.

HTH,

joeb
In that screen capture you probably had set up the Lemur to send MIDI to an already existing iPad MIDI session, which was in turn fowarded by CoreMIDI to the iMac Session, right ? What shouldn't work though is connecting the Lemur directly to the iMac Session, which is invisible to the Lemur if no Daemon is running. That's how I understood your first post.
The Lemur can only detect local ports and MIDI sessions on the iPad, and distant ports and sessions on remote computers that have the Daemon running. If no Daemon is running on a distant computer, no port will appear for it in the MIDI selection list.

PS : sent you a PM regarding the negative variables bug

joebataz
Regular

Post by joebataz » 25 Jun 2012 13:24

Thanks axel. That does make some sense but I'm still fuzzy on how setting up Lemur to send to itself gets the midi to the iMac. Maybe I'm just dense here but I appreciate the efforts to unthicken my thinking!

joeb

DUH....

needed some coffee to wake me up. now I see what you mean. Bottom line is whatever gets the signal to the iMac is working so I can continue to use my app which I just realized how much I depend on the past few days. Haven't seen the PM yet (???????) but have gotten around the negative var issue by setting up another global array which I then use monitors instead of text objects to display my values. That appears to be working. It should have been in the LDJ version I sent.

Thanks again!

joeb