Version 3.2 on iPad2 - text is really bad, almost unusable

Discuss problems and solutions.
dsorlien
Version 3.2 on iPad2 - text is really bad, almost unusable

Post by dsorlien » 21 Jun 2012 00:11

I am very disappointed with version 3.2.

I am using an iPad2, and the look of Lemur's fonts and knobs on the iPad2 is unacceptable. Please fix this so templates run on an iPad2 will look as good as they did when running Lemur 3.1.

I do not understand why this would be released with such a major problem. Is there any way to uninstall 3.2 and go back to 3.1 on my iPad?

nick_liine
Liine Staff

Re: Version 3.2 on iPad2 - text is really bad, almost unusab

Post by nick_liine » 21 Jun 2012 00:41

Hi,

We had to redo the font system to support Retina. It does look different than the legacy Lemur and previous versions, but it should look sharp. Have you tried different font sizes? Please drop a line at support (at) liine (dot) net

Cheers,
Nick

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 21 Jun 2012 03:20

readability is more important than sharpness. A little smoothing or blurring can even enhance readability. On non-retina iPads the readability is strongly reduced if the text size is not over 16pt. For example the "2" where you can't see the diagonal line, only the top bow and the bottom line. Or the "K". The word CLICK appears now as CLICI. It's disturbing. And indeed the knob objects look bad too.

I guess it won't be possible to rollback to 3.1, but I wish I didn't update to 3.2. I don't like to see my beautiful templates look bad suddenly, and less usable because text and numbers are not as readable as before. I will need to correct texts and value monitors in all of my templates. Not very amused by this idea. :D

I wouldn't mind if a template looks a bit strange in the editor, but on the iPad display, it is a bit problematic, I mean seriously problematic. What can we do now? Make two Lemur versions, one for retina and one for without retina? That's not good. Anyway, I would like to offer my help as beta-tester (I have two iPads version 2) so that such problems can be avoided in future.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

dsorlien

Post by dsorlien » 21 Jun 2012 05:19

Nick, thanks for the reply.

Here is an example of what 3.2 did to my huge template, on an iPad2.

Lemur 3.1, two days ago:
http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Vu4F4 ... .jpg?gl=US

Lemur 3.2:
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-RDHFn ... .PNG?gl=US

lABl
Lemur Guru

Post by lABl » 21 Jun 2012 06:44

Agree with Phil,

Please guys, is there not any fix for iPad1/2 users?

I mean, is great to have retina support for iPad 3 users, but would be also great compability with previous ipad models.

It would have a HUGE amount of time for people share many templates to update them, I simply have not time for that job, and don't like the idea changing font sizes either.

if you guys could find a solution, would be very appreciated.

Thank you,
AB

namikayapinar

Post by namikayapinar » 21 Jun 2012 08:09

Im use ipad 1 and I wanna relood lemur 3.1 my all template s very bllury i dont like this update!

whatisvalis
Regular

Post by whatisvalis » 21 Jun 2012 16:18

It's very poor, on iPad 1 here. Hopefully I can use a the last back-up in iTunes to restore 3.1.

This was bound to happen sooner or later with the advancements in the iPad and the one app store.

namikayapinar

Post by namikayapinar » 21 Jun 2012 16:31

I wass update lemur on my comp. i cant do relood my backup becouse is change 3.2.. @nick_liine pls relood 3.1

carmenrizzo

Post by carmenrizzo » 21 Jun 2012 17:40

This is not cool, we should not have to change fonts etc. it worked perfect before. PLEASE FIX!

Thanks.

Carmen

joebataz
Regular

Post by joebataz » 22 Jun 2012 05:42

Uh-Oh....
Haven't been around awhile and first thing should not be to complain but I've got to agree with all the other unusable text posts. It's great that you fixed the text for Retina but conversely now the text for Pads/Switches which was unchangeable before now has the added disadvantage of being REALLY unreadable!
And of course there is still the zero issue where a value that starts off negative or zero doesn't display, font sizes in Pads/Switches, etc. etc.....

How about fixing what's wrong and not creating new issues. The reason I haven't been on is the amount of work I've been able to get done with my template and now I'm thrown back into AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa............. land.

thx,

joeb