Daemon wifi issues

Discuss problems and solutions.
Audiorama
Daemon wifi issues

Post by Audiorama » 07 May 2012 20:21

Hi everybody,

did anybody had wifi problems with Daemon ?

I choosed Daemon to connect my 8 ipads to my macbook with an airport express network.
I thought that Daemon would be the best midi network for Lemur.
I don't know if building the wifi network with airport express is really better than the macbook integrated airport .

But after two or three days of work, i experienced some daemon ports crashes on some ipads.

did anybody experienced such problems ?

What could be the most stable midi by wifi connection ?
Daemon
or
apple midi network ?

Is an airport express or extreme useful ?

Bruno

marino_liine
Regular

Re: Daemon wifi issues

Post by marino_liine » 09 May 2012 13:51

Hi,

Apple MIDI Network is not supported, the connection has to go trough the Daemon. To get the least amount of latency you should use the built in AirPort card.

Let me know if that fixes it.

Kind regards,
Marino.

Audiorama

Post by Audiorama » 12 May 2012 19:12

Thanks Marino,

Yes, it's true that the Airport Express box seems to delay a little bit the signal.
I read in Lemur manual that bluetooth had to be desactivated on the ipad. So recently, i desactivated bluetooth.
And no more crashes... Hope that it was the reason.
From now, I'll try to go straight with Daemon and the built in airport.
thanks for your support.

best regards

Bruno

Audiorama

Post by Audiorama » 14 May 2012 12:06

Well, I'm coming back again...

today I tried two different set ups with Daemon and I experimented a lot of crashes on different Daemon input ports , in both cases :

- setup 1 : 6 or 8 ipads connected via wifi Airport Express to my Macbook : 8 Daemon midi input ports (one ipad on each one)

- setup 2 : 6 ipads connected via wifi built in Airport to my Macbook : 6 Daemon midi inputs (one ipad on each one)

in both cases, some Daemon inputs are disappearing in the Daemon window , not always the same ones. And of course , that means the ipad doesn't send midi anymore.
I just tested it without Ableton Live, just the ipads and Daemon on my Macbook (local wifi network with built in Airport)

NB :
bluetooth is desactivated on all ipads.
Daemon v.3.1
Macos snow leopard
Macbook 2009 white

I need your help, desperately, especially from Liine
to find a solution to this bug

best regards,

Bruno

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 14 May 2012 14:44

it can happen from time to time that one of my 2 iPads loses connection. When I go to Lemur's setup page, I see the port in red. After re-selecting it everything works like before. I can imagine that this can get a bit difficult with 8 iPads, but it shouldn't be a big problem. Can you reconnect lost connections?
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

Audiorama

Post by Audiorama » 14 May 2012 18:24

Hi Phil,

at least, I'm not alone with this problem...
Of course I can reconnect like you, but it's a great problem for me : I'm playing with this setup in concert, in workshops with young people.
and it's really impossible to have these bugs.

I switched from Midi Touch to Lemur, for that reason. But i think I was wrong.
Lemur doesn't seem to match these professional situations.

Help !
Is it a wifi problem or a Daemon bug ?
Am I wrong with something ?
Is it good to disconnect any daemon outputs, for no feedback from the application (I use Ableton Live) ?
Is it good to set each Ipad on a different Daemon port ?

The idea of returning to usb midi would be a great deception for me.
Anyway, did anybody know such problems when using usb midi ?

thanks in advance for any help

Best Regards,

Bruno

Audiorama

Post by Audiorama » 14 May 2012 19:05

of course , if Marino could help, or anybody at Liine ...

many thanks in advance

Bruno

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 15 May 2012 07:26

Hi
Wifi problems come from lots of different reasons.
Other local networks, network devices, phones etc .
You may need to look at ways to ensure to best underlying connection.
Do you use Automatic when you set up your network? Maybe try setting a channel.
You may have to try a few in case the interfering device is on that one - go in jumps of say 5.
I will have a bit of think about it and see what else comes to mind.

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Audiorama

Post by Audiorama » 17 May 2012 09:07

Hi,

well , i'll try to set up on a different channel, be careful with phones...
But I must say that "some" Daemon ports crash, not all .
I use 6 ipads simultaneously on the same adhoc network (on my macbook), on 6 different Daemon inputs.
the loss of connection never occurred on all ports together. Sometimes , Daemon input 1 crashes, then sometimes later Daemon input 6.
so the wifi connection (adhoc network) doesn't seem to crash really : the other ports are still functioning.

is there a way of connecting 6 to 8 ipads without wifi to control Ableton Live ?
Midi by usb ? how can you connect all the ipads by usb ?
iconnectmidi doesn't seem to support more than 2 ipads... ??
another midi interface ?

any suggestion is welcomed
Bruno

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 17 May 2012 09:47

you can get a MIDI-interface for each iPad and a multi-MIDI-interface for the computer. From a technical aspect this would be the most reliable solution for live performance. But before that, I would try with different wifi cards (different laptops). And static IP addresses instead of dynamic ones if you've not already done so.

I've connected 2 iPads to 4 different laptops/netbooks so far. At different locations. It looks like the reliability depends on the used laptop and maybe the location. Who knows, maybe even the angle? Rotate the laptop to 40 degrees, and it will work better? Not sure about that. But the wireless card most probably matters.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro