M4L DEVICE CONTROLLER crashing live

Discuss problems and solutions.
tobpA
M4L DEVICE CONTROLLER crashing live

Post by tobpA » 13 Apr 2012 15:57

The subject mentioned module keeps crashing with live. I have set it up using LiveOSC. I know it is able to detect the device that I currently have in focus as the module on my tempelate will update accordingly with device name etc. I can also see Live receiving information from the Lemur app as it will reflect the changes I make, but most of the time after about a second it will just crash. If I move a parameter in the selected device directly in Live first and then use the Lemur app it seems to work as intended. I'm assuming there is an issue with Max receiving info from Lemur in certain situations, but through my testing I haven't been quite able to figure out what those situations are. The last line in the log.txt always seems to be "SeratoIPC outgoing patch de-authenticated".
Edit: grammar, spelling mistakes, and some formatting.

tobpA

Re: M4L DEVICE CONTROLLER crashing live

Post by tobpA » 23 Apr 2012 23:31

Just want to give an update on this situation and put in a request. I contacted the creator of this module and adjacent m4l patch and sent him some crash reports in order to see if he would be able to help. From what he could tell live is crashing because an array is out of bounds somewhere, but unfortunately he is very busy at the moment and only has the original hardware version. I also tried the module on a friends computer just to make sure it wasn't something related to my comp and it also crashed on his.

I am wondering if there is anyone here who would be able to have a look at it and try to fix it. This module is the only method from all the different iPad apps that control Live that allows for control of a device nested inside of another rack which is quite essential for my live set. At the moment I'm just using the built in Trigger Finger remote script to control the selected device, but it would be much better to do it with this since the parameters on the iPad reflect the positions and names of the macros in Live when I change device. Perhaps there is something inherently difficult in controlling devices inside of racks and that is why there is no app out there that is able to do it.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 24 Apr 2012 04:57

Hi
From memory that project is meant to control devices in racks via macros - is that what you are doing?
If you are trying to access devices directly inside the racks it may give weird results perhaps

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

tobpA

Post by tobpA » 24 Apr 2012 12:49

It crashes even if the device is by itself and not in another rack unfortunately. As I mentioned it is able to pull the names and positions of devices even those inside racks, but most of the time it crashes when I move something.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 25 Apr 2012 02:23

Hi
It crashes even if the device is by itself and not in another rack unfortunately
What I meant is that it is supposed to be in a Rack - not by itself.

Have you checked out Mu yet - pretty sure there are modules in it that should do what you want . . ..

Or are you after a separate self-contained project that is only dealing with the device in focus?

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

tobpA

Post by tobpA » 28 Apr 2012 22:19

What I meant to say is that if the device is in a rack, which is not itself within a rack, it also crashes. I have checked out Mu, but from what I have seen there doesn't seem to be a module that is able to detect racks within racks, which is what I am aiming for. As I said this M4L device controller is able to detect them and gets all the info, but crashes Live.

tobpA

Post by tobpA » 27 Jun 2012 07:50

*BUMP* in hope that someone has gotten this working or is perhaps able to fix it.