how to send 32bit float osc values?

Discuss problems and solutions.
mathias
how to send 32bit float osc values?

Post by mathias » 29 Aug 2015 03:11

hi everybody,
i am new to lemur and am trying to build a controler for a motu avb interfaces dspmixer.

so far everything is working fine. i can contact the mixer via wifi and know how to build the controls and how to set the osc adresses and so on.
the only problem i have right now is, that the mixer expects 32bit float values, so the scaling of the lemur fader in comparison to the mixers fader is totally off.

i have gotten so far as to understand, that i can set the osc attributes via a script and the "oscout ..."
but this is now off my head.

so i need a realworld example of how to make a lemurcontrol to send osc commands as floatvalues.

can someone please enlighten me?

thanks, mathias

Macciza
Regular

Re: how to send 32bit float osc values?

Post by Macciza » 29 Aug 2015 13:38

Hi
Pretty sure Lemur is generally sending 32 bit floats anyway...
Have you got the full OSC spec for the device?? Not everything will be 0-1 or 0-100 or similar...
Fader looks like its 0-4 but others are all sorts of sensible -20-+20, 20-20000, 0-100 etc
Have a try again and see how you go now. Theres various ways to alter the range depending on what you are doing . . .
Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

mathias

Post by mathias » 29 Aug 2015 16:12

thanks for your answer!

seems i was on the wrong path with float ...
i am not too firm in that matter, but trying to understand from what i read in manuals and websearch-findings.

yes, i have a full specification list for the osc commands and the fader has values from 0 to 4, it goes up to +12db in the mixer.
here is an example of the commandlist:

mix/chan/<index>/matrix/solo

Type: OSC float32 'f' Available since mixer version: 1.0.0

mix/chan/<index>/matrix/mute

Type: OSC float32 'f' Available since mixer version: 1.0.0

mix/chan/<index>/matrix/pan

Type: OSC float32 'f' Available since mixer version: 1.0.0 Minimum Value: -1 Maximum Value: 1 Unit: pan

mix/chan/<index>/matrix/fader

Type: OSC float32 'f' Available since mixer version: 1.0.0 Minimum Value: 0 Maximum Value: 4 Unit: linear

my second guess is, that the wrong scaling is linear versus exponential behaviour, which should be easy to come by with some attributes for objects in lemur. i will experiment further ... :-)
cheers, mathias

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 30 Aug 2015 14:40

So if you set up a fader with the right address and set the scaling to 0 to 4 and slide the fader u what happens?
Is top and bottom ok but it doesn't seem to line up in between?? Or what response are you getting??
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

mathias

Post by mathias » 30 Aug 2015 20:07

with the fader values set to 0 to 4, the boundaries are correct.
yes, inbetween it seems to be "compressed" into the lowest little bit of the fader range.

for example: if the lemurfader is in the middle of the fader range) the fader in the mixer is at +6 db (upper boundary is +12 db). so for most of the fader range in lemur it moves only in the upper range of the mixer.

linear versus exponential behaviour? and how to influence this in lemur?

thanks for helping with my questions!

mathias

p.s. i am getting better at using the lemureditor :-)
already got the dspmixer to enable an eq band by touching a fader in lemur, with using the z parameter. great option!!

only thing i missed until now, is making a custom button visually transparent. i set them at the bottom over a fader to spare some screenspace and there they just cover the fader completely. would look more elegant, when it could be set transparent :-)

mathias

Post by mathias » 30 Aug 2015 20:50

this is the beginning of my mixer channelstrip surface.

the mainfader valuerange in this one is set 0 to 1, so the upper boundary in the mixer is then 0 db.
this way i get a good usable range levelwise (even without adapting to another scaling) and it also helps to not overload the masterbus.
here you can see what i wrote above, with the buttons not being transparent.
image.jpg
mixer channelstrip
image.jpg (122.18KiB)Viewed 3272 times