High priority mSec thread

Send us your feedback or ask for features.
Macciza
Regular
High priority mSec thread

Post by Macciza » 08 Jan 2012 01:17

Hi

I would like to see a high priority thread running at a 1ms clock to be used for time critical data input/output . . .
Frame rate would deal primarily with screen update as the name suggests and non-time critical control messages.
Something along the lines of the Advanced Scheduler settings available in Max with similar caveats on operation. . .
And ofcourse scripting/assignment functions to support/manage it - accessing, deferring etc

I'm guessing the 60fps is carried over from the Lemur hardware implementation and finer grained control would be possible on iPad hardware
The 16ms clock rate is simply not fine-enough for triggering sounds/actions though it is ok for control messages and screen updating
In fact, just wondering - Is the iPad screen actually redrawing/running at 60fps in the Lemur app?? Not sure what its native frame rate is . . .

What do you think Liine? Is this possible/practicable ? Is it something you might look at implementing?

Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

analog604
Regular

Re: High priority mSec thread

Post by analog604 » 13 Jan 2012 13:56

I've been thinking this would be a good thing too while programming the refresh intervals and recalculating precision for scripted LFOs.
I've had to take updates up to about 25ms to get them consistently smooth. Next I've got to make AD/ADSR envelopes work. I have a hunch that they won't be snappy with a data point change only every 25ms if it can even manage that with LFOs and other scripts running.

Besides those concerns I'm about to get into deep midi I/O and a faster 'frame-rate' would be most welcome.

So yes it would be great to have the fastest refresh practical on whatever iPad version.

Maybe after that the o'scopes would also be smoother and not jump around/drop.
cheers~
J
Dashboard gear control templates: User 112 Idx :: LModIt Lite :: SVG image converter for Lemur Canvas

marino_liine
Regular

Re: High priority mSec thread

Post by marino_liine » 18 Jan 2012 17:04

HI Guys,

I added this to the wishlist, we will consider it.

Kind regards,
M.