Android MIDI out direct to device (no computer)

Send us your feedback or ask for features.
danktle
Android MIDI out direct to device (no computer)

Post by danktle » 29 Nov 2015 21:55

I could swear the Liine product page says that Lemur on Android will allow direct MIDI connections over a cable.

https://liine.net/en/products/lemur/specifications

https://liine.net/wiki/lemur/basic_concepts

Am I missing something? I have an iConnect cable, a male MicroUSB to USB-A female adaptor (I can run Caustic and all I need are the Android tablet, and a hardware midi controller -- proving that this setup and the cables I have are both connected properly, and will indeed receive MIDI. I just don't know if I can send MIDI out. I don't see why it wouldn't - if it can receive midi...). I am running Lollipop on both a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Note 4, and Lemur 5.2.2.

There are several threads that mention this, but the authors sometimes seem to have ambiguous subject titles. I want to be able to connect an Android Device directly to a keyboard workstation, drum machine, MIDI device directly from the tablet. No computer. I understand that a computer is needed for programming in Android which is fine. An "In app editor" would be nice, but isn't necessary since making layouts beforehand is ideal anyway. But once I have the layout and mappings I need from the editor, I want to be able to leave the computer behind. Just Lemur running on a tablet, and the MIDI gear in use.

"Just buy an iPad" is a great solution, but no. I don't want an iPad since I would only ever use it for one thing, and $500+ is a bit steep for just a basic midi controller. It would be nice if Lemur could do that. Otherwise, I can spring for a $300 assignable controller that will do whatever you program it to, and speak to MIDI devices without a computer.

It seems to me that all that is missing is an option for "iConnect" or "Android" in the MIDI connections under the settings tab. If I go from WiFi to the appropriate MIDI port on my computer, what I'm trying to do works just fine (control an external sound module). If I connect directly to the module from the tablet, I get nothing. If I plug a cheap Casio keyboard with MIDI directly into the iConnect hooked up to the tablet I *CAN* control Caustic just fine.

Did I miss something? Because if I didn't, this definitely needs to be a feature for Android too. You are one step away from making Lemur a household name.

invisibleagent

Re: Android MIDI out direct to device (no computer)

Post by invisibleagent » 08 Jul 2016 05:38

+1

Please support USB Class Compliant MIDI adapters on Android.

Why is this useful to us? Here's some examples

Novation Circuit control directly from Lemur, Control various other hardware and standalone midi equipment. No computer required!

Thank you.

invisibleagent

Re: Android MIDI out direct to device (no computer)

Post by invisibleagent » 07 Nov 2016 04:37

Thanks to Nicolas at Liine support for pointing this out to me https://liine.net/wiki/lemur/connection ... re/android

I have tested an Android 6.0 tablet, it does indeed send MIDI over USB *with no computer* directly to a USB midi device
e.g.
Lemur <- USB Cable -> Novation Circuit (USB PORT)

I have also tested this setup

Lemur <- USB to MIDI Adapter -> Novation Circuit (3.5mm MIDI port)

Thanks Liine! Thank you Nicolas.
Regards,
Warren