NextStep Attribute for sequencerobjects

Send us your feedback or ask for features.
electrofux
Regular
NextStep Attribute for sequencerobjects

Post by electrofux » 31 Mar 2014 12:29

Please let us manipulate the step of the sequencers. Would it be hard to add an attribute called Nextstep where you can define how the Sequencer progresses?

This would actually eliminate my last wish about on clock scripts and swing.

Softcore
Regular

Re: NextStep Attribute for sequencerobjects

Post by Softcore » 31 Mar 2014 13:15

There are many things that I thought of as enhancements of these new objects but frankly the "direction" of the sequence wasnt one of them. Try making a 4 bar sequence with 1/16 division (64 steps) - we need a freaking 22 inch screen iPad for that lol.

I tried all possible scenarios - having 4 rows means you cant actually have 8 (the usual number for drum sequencers) tracks so to speak (8 stepsequencers, 64 steps, 1/16ths, 4 rows) in one screen again.

A way to have a "scrolling" sequence object would come in very handy indeed. I'd put "direction" second on my wishlist.

electrofux
Regular

Post by electrofux » 31 Mar 2014 14:51

It is not only the direction. You can make all sorts of cool stuff if you can tell the step where to go next.
You can have different runmodes: forward, backward, different pendulums, randoms, brownians.
Also you have not only laststep but also firststep so you can use a rangeobject to define from where to where the sequence goes.
And you can tell the Sequencer skip steps, multitrigger steps etc. All stuf you can find on the more esoteric Sequencers but which i found pretty cool and useful.
But it is dependant on step control.

Plus (though i am not sure) but from the looks it would be a simple addition.

To the 4bar space Problem. Couldnt you hide the sequencer and set the triggers on four 16 long switchobjects with 4 bar buttons to switch through them plus an OnCLock script to show the running light?

electrofux
Regular

Post by electrofux » 31 Mar 2014 15:49

Is that what you are looking for (You may have to press reset once)?
Attachments
barswitch.jzml
(32KiB)Downloaded 108 times

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 31 Mar 2014 18:21

There are ways, I have already tried using long (out of screen obejcts) and with certain on step scripts to "move" the object into place, but still things get complicated easily with such workarounds.

electrofux
Regular

Post by electrofux » 01 Apr 2014 11:26

Softcore wrote:There are ways, I have already tried using long (out of screen obejcts) and with certain on step scripts to "move" the object into place, but still things get complicated easily with such workarounds.
I figure that moving long objects gives you less options to change the stepcount because even with lower stepcount the objects stays in the same size (unless you program the size too). Thats why i chose to have the sequencer in the back and just work on a representation of a chosen size (in this case a 16 column switch).
The only little pain about it is the running light. But i think the solution is as lean as it can get (on the other ahnd my solution was meant to work for a backward running sequencer too, so i think it could be made even simpler.)

But back to my wish ;-) I envision an additional attribute where you simply put in step++, or step-- for a forward or backward running sequencer or customstep for more complicated stuff. Not sure how the step is handled internally by the sequencer objects but making an onclock script to do the same is not that complicated but as stated before with onclock scripts you lose the possibility to set the gatelength or swing.