increase item limit on menus

Send us your feedback or ask for features.
matias_thinKing
increase item limit on menus

Post by matias_thinKing » 29 May 2013 23:36

Hi Liine Team,

I would like to humbly request that the limit of 32 items within the menu object be increased to at least double this amount, and preferably, to a total of 128. I realize part of the issue with this is due to the menu extending beyond the available real estate on the lemur screen. As such, a scroll bar to go along with it would be ideal. Thank you for your consideration with this feature.

-Matias

matias_thinKing

Re: increase item limit on menus

Post by matias_thinKing » 03 Jun 2013 18:26

/edited
Last edited by matias_thinKing on 27 Jun 2013 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 04 Jun 2013 14:39

Its not what you are asking but Im just saying.....

You can create custom pop up windows (think container and show(container, state)) in which said container you can drop as many pad - switch objects as you want to create selection matrixes (like menus). In fact, you can even have the release of the pad-switch hide the container afterwards, mimicking the menu function.

If you need a detailed example let me know! ;)

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 04 Jun 2013 15:10

In fact here's an example - it took me some time to overcome shortcomings like long vectors not being properly initialized for the menu options on load - I had to resort to a triggered function ;)
Attachments
48options-menu.jzml
(7.97KiB)Downloaded 448 times

matias_thinKing

Post by matias_thinKing » 04 Jun 2013 16:54

I appreciate the offer, but it won't work in my case. The menu is bound to a container, which is limited in width, so the option to have something that is only 1 column wide with the ability to scroll is essential. I would compromise the design of the project by bleeding the menu outside of the theoretical edges of the container (since one can technically make the container as wide as they please). I do understand that as developers, our jobs are to circumvent any limitations posed, but I'm really hoping this is something that can be improved upon by the Liine team. I am concerned that Liine feels any improvements on the core Lemur software would go to waste, so I'd like to assure Liine and anyone else reading that they most certainly won't!

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 04 Jun 2013 18:23

Of course you know better what suits you, and its a valid request to feature a scroll bar for menus, but you CAN have a different workspace "occupied" with menu closed and menu opened in my above example so the design is really "compromised" ONLY when the menu is "open".... ;)

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 04 Jun 2013 19:10

Here's a 64 options menu with scrollbar by the way!;)
Attachments
64options-menu-with-scrollbar.jzml
(20.7KiB)Downloaded 535 times

matias_thinKing

Post by matias_thinKing » 05 Jun 2013 17:08

thanks dude! I'll check it out and see if I can implement it :)

matias_thinKing

Post by matias_thinKing » 08 Jun 2013 06:24

very nicely done man - I appreciate you lending some of your time for this

matias_thinKing

Post by matias_thinKing » 27 Jun 2013 22:44

I tried to extrapolate the idea but still use the menu objects ... unfortunately, there is no z variable (or something similar) to represent an open menu vs a closed one. while perusing through the internal functions, I hoped to find something that would allow me to hack it, but no dice. the mouselbutton and mousemove functions looked promising, but I'm not sure what target should be, and my guesses aren't compiling. furthermore, this doesn't address the issue of the mouse being detected when the user opens the menu. argh.

liine team,

I think I can circumvent the limit issue if a variable is added to the menu object that depicts it's open/closed state. if the 32 item limit cannot be increased, please consider this workaround. thank you, (and thank you again, softcore)