Code editor and scripting language

Send us your feedback or ask for features.
Rolix
Code editor and scripting language

Post by Rolix » 20 Mar 2013 11:21

my apologies for being rude, Lemur is a fantastic product, but working with the code editor is a pain in the a** (Windows 7 64 bit). I do appreciate having editors for Mac, Windwos and InApp, I know that must have been a lot of work, but at the same time I must ask, would you Lemur developers want to have to work with the Lemur code editor to develop Lemur ? ;)

So here's my code editor wishlist:

- Home and End keys should move to start/end of line, not end of text (which usually are ctrl+home/ctrol+end)
- if anything is wrong the complete code is rendered red - modern code editors (of interpreted languages) show decent lines under the exact place of the error along with an error hint.
- Having to use "e" to interact with a template often leads to invalid code cause it's typed in there. So first I have to click in the template to use "e", which makes the editor loose its content => make the editor tabbed so I can edit multiple code blocks in different editors, make them sticky so they don't loose code when clicking into the template and add a modifier key like alt+e for running a script.
- a list of items where a variable/script is referenced or a goto next/previous script error to find scripts easily which don't work cause I renamed a variable for example
- code completion
- unicode

And some script language features I miss:
- string functions and operators, I'd like to be able to write "decl chordname = 'C' + ' maj' + ' 1. Inv'".
- object pointers/references as script parameters
- a more object oriented approach, having three different assignment methods (=, setattribute, setexpression) seems a little weird to me. I'd prefer a consistent "Object.attributename = value" syntax.

InApp editor:
- where can I manage custom MIDI-messages?

Thank you!

Softcore
Regular

Re: Code editor and scripting language

Post by Softcore » 20 Mar 2013 12:57

Lack of string operators and functions buffled me too...

The first time I tried an i iteration loop I was wondering why I couldnt just set a bunch of objects expression (Knob1, Knob2....Knob20) by going

for (i=1, i<21, i++)
Knob' i '.x=0.5;

or

decl obj='Knob'+' i ';
setexpression(obj,'x',0.5);

or something in that fashion anyways......

Traxus
Regular

Post by Traxus » 20 Mar 2013 19:58

Softcore wrote:Lack of string operators and functions buffled me too...

The first time I tried an i iteration loop I was wondering why I couldnt just set a bunch of objects expression (Knob1, Knob2....Knob20) by going

for (i=1, i<21, i++)
Knob' i '.x=0.5;

or

decl obj='Knob'+' i ';
setexpression(obj,'x',0.5);

or something in that fashion anyways......
That also speaks volumes to the inability to store object references in variables...

I think we can all agree that the lack of string support is a royal pain in the ass.

how about

Code: Select all

decl labels;

labels[65] = "A";
labels[109] = "m";
Imagine the time I would have saved when constructing the ascii keyboard if strings were better supported. I had to make each key, with its label and ascii code by hand.

It would also be nice to be able to parse the object name, ie a string replace in php...

Code: Select all

//where object name = knob065...
decl asciiCode = stringreplace(getobject(getname()), 'knob');
asciiCode = int(asciiCode); //converts string '065' into integer 65 for use in keyout() or any other int related functions

Joe Soap
Regular

Post by Joe Soap » 20 Mar 2013 21:21

Ayup, pointers would be very handy indeed.

IIRC there's a section in the manual that hints at such functionality - but it's never expanded upon. I actually thought it referred to the ability to pass a pointer to an object (as a var) . . . but it seems from what you guys are saying I either misunderstood the manual, or the manual refers to unfinished functionality in the application / lang.

Rolix

Post by Rolix » 21 Mar 2013 10:02

Joe Soap wrote:Ayup, pointers would be very handy indeed.

IIRC there's a section in the manual that hints at such functionality - but it's never expanded upon. I actually thought it referred to the ability to pass a pointer to an object (as a var) . . . but it seems from what you guys are saying I either misunderstood the manual, or the manual refers to unfinished functionality in the application / lang.
I remember seeing some pointer notation in the manual too. Along with with pointers it would be nice to have typecasts in order to make setattribute() and setexpression() obsolete.