Deprecating keyout()? Say it ain't so!

Send us your feedback or ask for features.
Traxus
Regular
Deprecating keyout()? Say it ain't so!

Post by Traxus » 16 Mar 2013 19:26

It has come to my attention through the grapevine that keyout() which allows us to send keyboard may be deprecated. :(

Please please puh-lease keep this around. There are certain things midi/osc just can't do without involving a third party. Part of my intrest in lemur was its scripting, which negated the need (though not the possibility) for running python and or other scripts in the background. The ability to say, save your work from Lemur or send other keyboard shortcuts, or even build a fully fledged QWERTY keyboard as I have just seems too useful to throw away...
Last edited by Traxus on 19 Mar 2013 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

Macciza
Regular

Re: Depricating keyout()? Say it ain't so!

Post by Macciza » 17 Mar 2013 13:12

Hmm -
yes I had heard similar and really think that it should be kept or a native iOS keyboard to daemon facility implemented . . .
The ability to do key out stuff is very beneficial in many circumstances . . .

MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Joe Soap
Regular

Post by Joe Soap » 19 Mar 2013 20:17

++

Unicode.

Non butt-ugly fonts. <-- Like . . . srsly.

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 19 Mar 2013 20:47

If such a case is true, I think is due to the fact that it aint working universally - as in, Mac users have reported problems with it....

I generally think, officially Liine has to support features that work 100% - still trying to figure out for example why was the "gesture" object dropped.....it seems to work ok but I believe again it has to do with general unpredicted behavior of some sort?

I hope, like the gesture object, it will only be depricated "officially" so to speak! You can still use "gesture" if you want even though it is not officially supported! ;)

Joe Soap
Regular

Post by Joe Soap » 19 Mar 2013 21:18

Heh, it might work universally if it supported Unicode instead of some fakken standard from the '70s.

[edit] <-- It's "depracating" BTW. :P

Traxus
Regular

Post by Traxus » 19 Mar 2013 21:32

Softcore wrote:If such a case is true, I think is due to the fact that it aint working universally - as in, Mac users have reported problems with it....
Yes, a Swiss guy on mac emailed me about my keyboard, said that the delete key was firing off an 'a'.
Joe Soap wrote:Heh, it might work universally if it supported Unicode instead of some fakken standard from the '70s.
Sounds like most of us could live with a unicodeout() replacement. This just seems like such a handy function. What about Ableton live switching between Session and Arrangement? As far as I know that can't be midi mapped and is tied to the Tab key...
Joe Soap wrote:[edit] <-- It's "depracating" BTW.
Exactly, I wanted to build a Lemur based wireless keyboard template that includes better spell check than Chrome. How are we going to move on something like this without control of the keyboard?!

Joe Soap
Regular

Re: Deprecating keyout()? Say it ain't so!

Post by Joe Soap » 19 Mar 2013 22:33

I handle that by having learnt to spell as a small child.

But clearly not well enough! :lol:

Leaving classic Grammar / Spelling Nazi folly in previous post as a cautionary tale*.

(It's "deprecate")

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 19 Mar 2013 23:42

I always thought it was depricate lol!

TheSwiss

Post by TheSwiss » 20 Mar 2013 22:00

Hi @ all

I can confirm that the Keyout has some minor problems - at least on MAC. But that seems to be limited to the Special Chars like Tab, Return a.s.o.
But anyway, it's mutch better to have a limited Keyout than NO Keyout.

In my view, it would be realy sad to loose that powerfull Feature, because it is one of the things that forced me to choose Lemur instead of other Products out there and gives you the posibilty to work around not-midi-mappable actions/functions.

So thumbs up for Keyout and and please Liine, keep it on board!!

The Swiss Guy

PS: If you find some errors, you can keep them :D

Joe Soap
Regular

Post by Joe Soap » 20 Mar 2013 22:55

Here's what I've been wondering for a long time now . . . why aren't you Mac guys using Automator to make the entire PC sit up and beg, nevermind just get around a little niggle like this?

IAC drivers?

On Win we've got AHK, which is great, a few free virtual MIDI driversets, Bomes etc. (inc rtpMIDI for network sessions) - but Automator (and GUI Builder and IAC) are the keys to the kingdom, baked right into the OS.

Which isn't to say that the Lemur environment couldn't stand a little . . . ahhh, modernising . . . but when the box falls short of expectations --> go outside the box.

Oddly enough, it's full of stars out there too :).