light expression for Monitor objects

Send us your feedback or ask for features.
brianc
Regular
light expression for Monitor objects

Post by brianc » 09 Feb 2013 05:57

I'd like to be able to set a light value for Monitor objects. I'm trying to make Monitors that fade out over time.

Joe Soap
Regular

Re: light expression for Monitor objects

Post by Joe Soap » 09 Feb 2013 07:26

Monitor Light.jzlib
(5.26KiB)Downloaded 184 times
'ere ya go m8!

Shamelessly ganked from AB (who else?) :D

brianc
Regular

Post by brianc » 09 Feb 2013 18:07

Thanks! It's not quite what I need, unfortunately. I have a monitor object on top of other objects, so I need that monitor to fade to transparent so it's not visible. I could try to set the color like this, but I think it'd be complicated to fade to the proper color.

Joe Soap
Regular

Post by Joe Soap » 09 Feb 2013 18:45

PM sent :)

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 09 Feb 2013 20:14

Hi
If you don't need the 'fade' then just use the show() function to show/hide the Monitor . .. .
Otherwise all you can do is fade to a color/black not to transparent.
Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

brianc
Regular

Post by brianc » 09 Feb 2013 20:27

Macciza wrote: If you don't need the 'fade' then just use the show() function to show/hide the Monitor . .. .
Otherwise all you can do is fade to a color/black not to transparent.
Yeah, I use show() with a 0.3 second delay now, and that works well. I just thought getting fancy and having a fade might be fun.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 09 Feb 2013 20:36

Hi
Depending on the object you could fade to the color of the object . .
But then if it changes color like a pad or switch and you don't want to see it you would have to track that color change too
Or I guess you could fade to the color and then hide it . . .
Depends how fancy you want your code and how you like your 'fun' . . .
Cheers
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

brianc
Regular

Post by brianc » 09 Feb 2013 21:30

The monitor is on top of a multislider, so I'd have to determine if the value was over the place where the monitor is or not to determine the proper end color. While that's not bad at all, I think there'd still be two more tricky problems: how to get the background color of a multifader, and how to smoothly transition between colors. I know I can just scale RGB values over time (like Joe's example), but from previous experience in doing this, linear changes in RGB values don't often lead to linear changes in how the resulting colors are perceived.

To get the alpha effect that I'm going for, I could also use a Text object, write the value to that object, and change its light value, but I'd rather not. The show() option is good enough for now.

Light for monitors or RGBA support for all objects are on my wishlist. Low priority, though.

Joe Soap
Regular

Post by Joe Soap » 09 Feb 2013 22:08

Alpha-channel on everything would be high on my list of (design-related) wishes.

There seems to be a problem with placing a transparent Monitor directly on top of a Multislider anyway - little bit of flickering when adjusting the slider. This may just be an artifact of / in the Editor, I haven't confirmed the behaviour on the pad yet.