Writing Arrays

Send us your feedback or ask for features.
joebataz
Regular
Writing Arrays

Post by joebataz » 07 Jan 2013 05:46

I've mentioned this before but this weekend it turned REALLY ugly.
My template has become the centerpiece of my DJ performances and this weekend I did a marathon 8 hour almost non-stop gig. During a few of my sets I came up with some really nice sequences which my new sequencer page recorded flawlessly.
THEN THE CRASH............

Lemur went kaboom and although I recovered quickly I had lost all those nifty sequences. So, for the developers; PLEASE * 99 give us a way to save and read a file on the iPad which we can use to save variables/arrays/data. I would be THRILLED with a function that could read and write a simple text string to a file. If I had a button that would have sent my 3 arrays of 32 integers to any kind of storage I would not now be sitting here looking at videotapes trying to recreate what I did. This function would significantly impact the amount of memory I'm using and eliminate the painful loss of so much creativity.

THANKS!!!

joeb

analog604
Regular

Re: Writing Arrays

Post by analog604 » 11 Jan 2013 14:15

+1

Joeb, you can send your data out via MIDI to an app on the daw sequencer. Then have a listener function in Lemur that recognizes it and installs in variables upon replay.

-Jay
Dashboard gear control templates: User 112 Idx :: LModIt Lite :: SVG image converter for Lemur Canvas

analog604
Regular

Post by analog604 » 11 Jan 2013 14:19

better yet in the temporary workaround realm.. send/receive via OSC because then you'll not need to have to deal with the 7-bit data conversion mess.
Dashboard gear control templates: User 112 Idx :: LModIt Lite :: SVG image converter for Lemur Canvas

joebataz
Regular

Post by joebataz » 11 Jan 2013 15:15

Thanks analog604. I can already do that. I have a Live template setup that I sent notes to from my Lemur app (LDJ). Let me backup a minute and give you a little more context.
I have a DMX interface to my lighting/effects system that uses MIDI channels 15 and 16 to decide which of 512 channels to send and what level on each channel. Channel 15 is the Bank and channel 16 is the Preset. The Presets have the 512 sliders that set the levels for each channel. Using Live I can put an audio track in and then as I play through the audio I use LDJ to send a Bank/Preset pair of notes to Live which records the notes on a MIDI track. Since there are instances where the Bank and Preset note are the same when LDJ send the notes it bumps the Preset note by 3 octaves. The DMX box has a VST that uses 2 MIDI channels, 15 and 16, is installed in Live so the lower notes I send to MIDI 15 channel and I transpose the upper notes down 3 octaves and send them to MIDI 16 channel. It works really, really well and I can get the audio/visual timing tight to an accuracy of 1/64 notes.
The issue with this is three fold. First I have thousand of songs that I can play often by request so I need to bring up the tracks quickly which if you've used Live is not something you can do quickly especially with a VST that needs to be initialized everytime a new file is loaded. Which brings up issue 2 because the initialization of course resets the whole system and will disrupt what is currently happening. I have setup 40 minute sessions which play through beautifully but just aren't really the way I need to work. The 3rd and newest issue is that I've added a video switcher application which although it also uses DMX/MIDI I need to send whole packets of signals to the application while sending the audio stuff at the same time.
PHEWWwww..... Hope I haven't lost you.
Long story short, LDJ now integrates ALL of this into 4 arrays which I can step thru by hand fairly quickly (one day I'll crack the timecode recording issue, but that's another long winded thread) AND record what I'm doing along the way. All this works believe it or not and I often get something SO RIGHT that I'd like to use it again. Personable guy that I am I'm often out IN the crowd seeing as I can ALSO run the audio portion of my show thru the same LDJ app. Of course this puts me away from my iMac and I also don't have the time to run thru a complicated process. I need to be able to push a button and save the arrays which I can do but at this time I can only have about 10 slots.
Having a library that I could easily access right on the iPad would greatly enhance this whole process, hence my request for a much easier, faster way to Save and Load. BTW, the application suite that I use at showtime is Traktor, Abelton Live, Resolume Avenue, kJams Pro, AirBeamPro (for live video feeds from my iPhone into Avenue) and DMXIS.
If you're still here thanks for listening!

joeb

analog604
Regular

Post by analog604 » 11 Jan 2013 15:39

wooah very in-depth arrangement that you have. it sounds amazing. around your center of description I was trying to imagine a flowchart or diagram, but then I basically got it. very cool setup.

macay

Post by macay » 10 Feb 2013 11:16

Some kind of storage would be very welcome.
I'd use this for interface options that the user can set.