Sysex Dump Receive / Decouple MIDI input loop

Send us your feedback or ask for features.
normen
Sysex Dump Receive / Decouple MIDI input loop

Post by normen » 24 Dec 2012 05:44

Hi,

As many people including me now found out, Lemur is incapable of receiving MIDI sysex data dumps of a certain size. As each MIDI message arrives as one variable in the scripting system, the full sysex message has to arrive in the Lemur before the next frame can be rendered. As the Lemur seems to kill processes that take too long to keep the framerate up the result is what we see. The quicker the sysex data gets dumped, the more you get into the Lemur but if its above about 16ms, it gets cut off.

This bug is probably due to the Lemur handling MIDI in the same update loop as the rest of the processing. The usual solution would be decoupling the MIDI input and reading the MIDI data into the Lemur scripting system via a queue instead of blocking the update loop. I can understand that the Lemurs software was built for dedicated hardware that maybe made multithreading for the MIDI input complicated but on the iPad this should be no issue, right?

I really love the Lemur but to be used as an editor for synthesizers and the likes it needs to be able to receive sysex dumps. So please, fix this bug :)

Cheers,
Normen

bafonso

Re: Sysex Dump Receive / Decouple MIDI input loop

Post by bafonso » 24 Dec 2012 18:01

Please implement this. This is critical to interface with older synths..

analog604
Regular

Post by analog604 » 30 Dec 2012 14:22

Hi normen and bfanso! Welcome to the forum.

I've updated that old thread about MIIDI timing and sysex because earlier in 2012 Liine had increased the MIDI input from 128 to 256 bytes.

Now the problem is more limited to the 256 Vector (array) element limit which is tied to the build in MIDI listener in Lemur.

There are many requests in with Liine for these limits to be raised. I'd put the functionality to use right away here.. : )

cheers~
Jay
Dashboard gear control templates: User 112 Idx :: LModIt Lite :: SVG image converter for Lemur Canvas

dsorlien

Post by dsorlien » 14 Mar 2013 15:26

normen wrote:Hi,

As many people including me now found out, Lemur is incapable of receiving MIDI sysex data dumps of a certain size. As each MIDI message arrives as one variable in the scripting system, the full sysex message has to arrive in the Lemur before the next frame can be rendered. As the Lemur seems to kill processes that take too long to keep the framerate up the result is what we see. The quicker the sysex data gets dumped, the more you get into the Lemur but if its above about 16ms, it gets cut off.

This bug is probably due to the Lemur handling MIDI in the same update loop as the rest of the processing. The usual solution would be decoupling the MIDI input and reading the MIDI data into the Lemur scripting system via a queue instead of blocking the update loop. I can understand that the Lemurs software was built for dedicated hardware that maybe made multithreading for the MIDI input complicated but on the iPad this should be no issue, right?

I really love the Lemur but to be used as an editor for synthesizers and the likes it needs to be able to receive sysex dumps. So please, fix this bug :)

Cheers,
Normen
SYSEX receive in Lemur is horribly broken on many setups. Please fix this, Liine.

To say I am discouraged would be an understatement. There are a few users that bought Lemur in order to use my AxeFX template, and after finding out that incoming SYSEX did not work on their setup, I suggested that they ask for a refund for the Lemur app purchase since they cannot use it as intended. I do not know if they actually got a refund from the iTunes store.

This is not the same as the 256 array size limit. The 256 array size limit is a design choice made by the developers. I would not call that a bug.

But when I send a 250 byte SYSEX message to the Lemur app repeatedly, and the Lemur app truncates the message ... well that is a bug. A serious bug.

Please fix this, Liine. We have suffered with this bug for too long. Do the right thing and fix this bug. Thanks!

sovietpop

Post by sovietpop » 16 Mar 2013 18:30

I have bought the Lemur app to control my DSI Tetra.
To be honest i am quite disappointed that i cant use Lemur to edit patch on my Tetra because of the Sysex limitation.
Please fix this , i guess many users would like to use Lemur to control DSI synth or others synth that use sysex dump.

thanks.

Jean

Sans Nom

Post by Sans Nom » 10 Jun 2013 15:40

I really hope that this will be fixed. That's disappointing to see such a high-end software like Lemur failing to fully control hardware synths.