relative control for fader(s)

Send us your feedback or ask for features.
rfmusic
relative control for fader(s)

Post by rfmusic » 11 Sep 2012 10:26

as i have written already on the troubleshooting section i would like to have a relative control for faders, i mean i would be able to put a finger anywhere in the fader and then let it move when i start moving my finger, now it jumps to the finger position, the only way to avoid that is to choose the option to let it move only if i put the finger on the actual position, but in this way it become way harder to get it and almost impossible to control multiple faders at once.
acting relatively should add also the possibility to keep ontrolling that also when you go out of its bounds.
actually lemur fader acts like a ribbon more than a fader.
sorry if i've not been clear enough, if you have doubts just have a look on TouchOsc faders.
best

nick_liine
Liine Staff

Re: relative control for fader(s)

Post by nick_liine » 11 Sep 2012 11:10

Hi rfmusic,

Thanks for the suggestion. This one is already well on our radar. :-)

Nick

rfmusic

Post by rfmusic » 30 Dec 2012 10:20

any news about it ?
the only thing i've found that goes near to this feature request is using the "range" module, but still it's incomplete, for example with "capture" option enabled it will keep the "capture" only horizontally while it lose the "capture" it if i go vertically out of the range module bounds.
also it looks that with drag=1 the range become fixed and it's impossible to change that size, its a bit too big like that.

benj3737

Post by benj3737 » 06 Jan 2013 03:42

+1

rfmusic

Post by rfmusic » 11 Apr 2013 16:22

bump!!!

any news?

Honestly i'm still using touchOSC because of this missing feature, i would love to jump on the lemur boat but this missing fader behaviour still keeps me away from it.
I use TouchOsc live and i need to move multiple faders at once, without the risk of see it "jumping" or making big steps, with lemur is TOO RISKY.

Main problem is that touchosc (1.8.1) has issues and it looks developing is dead (last version is from march 2012)
I had to jailbreak to revert to an older version.

I've searched other solutions:

1 - midi touch, it has that function but the slider goes much slower if you put the finger outside the cap position (it acts like a fine tune), and it looks that can't be changed, only turned off, so NO GO, also it crashes like hell.
2 - midi studio pro, it has it but i will miss some other features i have on touchosc, by the way i'll give it a try soon.
3 - lemur, does not have it
4 - TB midi stuff, it has it (you have to use the so called "modern faders"), testing right now, by the way it has only faders and knobs and i need some advanced modules to make it comparable to what i've done with TouchOSC

do you know of any other modular midi controller on ipad ?

i'm not a developer but it looks so easy to implement....
best

rfmusic

Post by rfmusic » 12 Apr 2013 10:17

I would like to show you an example because it looks like a stupid request but it's crucial in some situations to have it or not.
Here's one of my current TouchOSC page, as you can see it's quite advanced, i've tweaked multi toggle button modules to acts passively and receive level meters values and number displays used as beat counter and pattern number (i'm using it in conjuction with Reaktor), that's why i need Lemur, because is very hard to replicate those things on a standard midi modular software, i need a lot of versatility.
Let's say i want to lower the volume of the first 4 faders simultaneously starting from their current position as show in the picture.

With touchOSC i just put my left hand' 4 fingers anywhere over the faders and go down
With Lemur it will be a pain, first i have to make sure i have putted all 4 finger over the cap in order to avoid jumps, and for sure i will have to use 2 hands, try on your monitor to put 1 hand on the fader caps :)

best

if you look at the right side, the smaller faders sometimes are assigned to filter cutoff and resonance, imagine i'm tweaking the first fader (cut) and i accidentally touch the second one (resonance) with the hand, with lemur i will get a jump with very high resonance destroyng all the listeners ears.

ok i can disable jumps, but then i'm limited the other side as i can move it only when i touch the cap.

Last edited by rfmusic on 12 Apr 2013 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 12 Apr 2013 10:19

I know its not exactly the same but you can at least avoid "jumps" for the time being if you enable "caps only" for the faders in Lemur.

rfmusic

Post by rfmusic » 12 Apr 2013 10:27

yeah i know but when you are playing live you do not have the time to search for the caps position, you need something more immediate, it's easy if you have to move one fader only, but with multiple faders it's a pita.
i've used behringer bcf2000 (n fact that layout is highly inspired from it), and using touchosc is the nearest solution i've found to the real controller, obviously the feeling you have with a real controler is still better, and you will be faster with a real one, but wiht touchosc i'm still quit fast and in addition i have the ability to see meters and numbers so i have to look to the laptop much less than before.
Also people see you working with an ipad and looks more "cool" ;)

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 12 Apr 2013 13:00

here you go! Not sure what will happen with bi-directional communication though and Im not in my studio to test it...But it works as you want - just map the "out" expression NOT the x expression
DragFader.jzml
(3.05KiB)Downloaded 212 times

Softcore
Regular

Post by Softcore » 12 Apr 2013 13:16

And here is one, hopefully with bi-directional communication.....Just find the x expression inside the object "mapMyX" and map it your desired midi parameter....

Again, Im not currently at my studio so I cant guarantee anything but I think it will work! ;)
RelativeFader.jzml
(5.65KiB)Downloaded 235 times