Rotatable objects

Send us your feedback or ask for features.
shimoda
Regular
Re: Rotatable objects

Post by shimoda » 01 Jul 2012 12:40

analog604 wrote: There is a trick using the object light value, make it negative.. then set the graph color.
The bars will then appear to pull down.

For some reason I just can't get it to work, it always just turns to black. I know it is smoke and mirrors, but the object shows as white. It would really be simpler to have control over the inactive color as well. It really feels like a parlor trick and I have to count cpu cycles to get it just right. I thought I did once, but realized it was one I copied from another folder. :o I'll keep trying. I don't really need it now, but want it downpat.

I create a multislider. Deselect gradient, change the color to -0 then change to black, no good. Start again but change light to -1 then black, no good, the -2 -> black, no good, then variations on negatives. I'm clearly just missing something here, probably not worth the time. Funny thing is, if you copy the multi from your example, switch colors and switch back, it doesn't work. crazy...

EDIT: I even went so far as to look at the jzml files and jzlibs when saving the object. At first it seemed not to matter, but it is very clear that there is a specific value of black that works for this and others don't work. The value you had 65793 worked. I had a very close approximation, but didn't work. Really would like to see more color info in the Lemur editor itself as well as maybe some default presets you could always switch back to. Thanks for the info.

analog604
Regular

Post by analog604 » 01 Jul 2012 16:58

The mutlislider method using negative light value (I used -2) and the color black has disadvantages,
in that most will be too dark simply because the light value. Not sure why black works and grey/white shows up so well though.

The method that AB pointed out (thanks AB, I haven't really put ranges to use) will allow you to
color the graph as you like.. but it won't be a multislider.
I've updated to 1.2d to include a version of range, but using Range.ix (the inverted value) and Range.mx (for MIDI 0-127) pre-calculated to use in other objects.
http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/273/

Also for choosing the color, are you seeing the color picker that I am? I just select the bottom most black left or right from the color picker.

-J
Dashboard gear control templates: User 112 Idx :: LModIt Lite :: SVG image converter for Lemur Canvas

analog604
Regular

Post by analog604 » 01 Jul 2012 20:39

Shimoda, You mentioned doing some ADSR/Breakpoint controls and keeping the ADSR stationary as a monitor.
I found that kind of interesting so began to test breakpoint stuff (again I'm no expert in these!)
So I attached other controls to the Multislider for examples.. added a multiBall and Breakpoint Envelope to that same multislider.
For the 'monitor' part of the ADSR, I force the X values to stick by refreshing their X array every frame; but it is still active and the Y axis is always moveable.

now contains two files.

(sorry wow getting carried away today..this needs to be a different topic at this point) :mrgreen:

cheers!
-J
Dashboard gear control templates: User 112 Idx :: LModIt Lite :: SVG image converter for Lemur Canvas

shimoda
Regular

Post by shimoda » 02 Jul 2012 01:58

I actually have been working on this adsr thing because in reality I wanted something like the breakpoint adsr example in the user library but not quite. Seems like it would be a good object for lemur anyway.

At any rate, I walked through all of the scripts in there to figure out how they did it and started on my own wanting to do it just a bit differently, the current solution is nice, but not, I think, ideal. Additionally I wanted the breakpoint visual tied to a set of sliders to where you could use either the breakpoint to make visual changes or the multislider. So i got my breakpoint set up fine with a nice little way to limit each item to 25% of the breakpoint, etc. setting up the multislider is easy. You part really came with trying to update each. Using the breakpoint to update the multi was also very easy. However, when I go to set up the multi to update the breakpoint things fail. It will work but my solution wouldn't allow for continuous updating of the breakpoint because as it changed as a result of the sliders, it wanted to update the multi and thus I could only update the breakpoint by touching the place on the sliders, not by dragging the slider. What would be nice was if lemur had a function to tell me when the cursor was removed, which may exist and I am unaware. Or some other way likely exists to continuously update both.

As it is, my current template uses the breakpoint only as a monitor, slave to the sliders.

lABl
Lemur Guru

Post by lABl » 02 Jul 2012 07:10

analog604 wrote:
The method that AB pointed out (thanks AB, I haven't really put ranges to use) will allow you to
color the graph as you like.. but it won't be a multislider.
I've updated to 1.2d to include a version of range, but using Range.ix (the inverted value) and Range.mx (for MIDI 0-127) pre-calculated to use in other objects.

-J
Do you know there is no problem man, on the contrary.
Cheers and keep the good work.

shimoda
Regular

Post by shimoda » 02 Jul 2012 13:20

Great examples. I like the way you've linked the breakpoints changes. It's kind of a different way to randomize a string of values that could constantly shift, sort of a random lfo. Going to take a minute to read all the scripts. Looking to finish v0.1 of my new template. I will also be changes to the minimoog templates as well, basically adding the 'lemurized' controls.