Lemur on Android

Send us your feedback or ask for features.
zengel
Regular
Re: Lemur on Android

Post by zengel » 10 May 2012 23:32

yep, it depends. for me not a problem. developpers of applications (like morphwiz (yep it's a game, but a solution to) , made the latency problem , not a problem anymore.
but we talk about lemur here. there is no audio problem with lemur.
but i'm ok with you , google need to make an effort on the latency of the os.

dsparkman

Post by dsparkman » 07 Jul 2012 02:27

I am personally tired of the whole "Apple is the greatest thing ever created" argument. What makes Android platform devices better, is simply versatility. Perish the thought that a tablet may let its users (gasp) use a secure digital card or have a standard USB connection instead of the easily dirtied and damageable iDock. The fact of the matter is that the very things that make Android products so very great are the very issues that make it difficult for app developers to create one-size-fits-all products for the platform. BTW, Linux has never been great with music productions apps, but the android platform has every door and window that one would need to run Lemur within the OS. Same with phones as tablets. When I want to upgrade my storage on my android phone, I simply replace my micro SD card. Sycophantic Apple-philes have to get a new phone. Apple products are simply NOT user-focused, only user-friendly. And midi latency wouldn't be much of an issue on any device. Latency comes into play when the device is also charged with generating voices. AUDIO latency is the issue due to required processing resources for rapidly playing triggered sounds from within the hardware. The original hardware Jazzmutant Lemur solved this problem by using the Ethernet connection, but USB 2.0 (and 3.0) is plenty fast as long as the processing power is there in the computer you're using in conjunction with your device. And wi-fi is all the rage these days.

Macciza
Regular

Post by Macciza » 07 Jul 2012 03:46

Hi
Personally, I am tired of the FAndroid argument, that so often misses the point - Android is not a homogenous system . . .
'Linux not great with music production'??? Are you serious? What build are you referring to? Android better? No way!
Just my personal/professional opinion.
Cheers
MM
iMac 2.8G i7 12G 10.6.8/10.7.2, Legacy Dexter/Lemur, Liine Lemur/iPad2, KMI SoftStep, 12Step & QuNeo , B-Controls, Mackie C4 etc
MaxMSP, Live Suite, Native Instrument stuff, etc Modified Virtual Guitar System etc All Projects/Modules © CC-BY-NC-SA[*][/b]

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 07 Jul 2012 05:49

my personal experience is that I've waited for an Android tablet. I thought they would be better and cheaper after a year or two. But there was none that could be used as a controller. I wouldn't even need audio. Finally I bought an iPad2 which was my first Apple product. One month later a second one, after Lemur was ported to iOS. And regularily checking the second-hand-market for more iPads. CoreAudio is a nice addition, now I can use them as plugin hosts (synth, sampler, and vocoder apps) as well.

I also "don't like" Apple, but to be honest there is no company I really like. It's all the same for me. They make products, pollute the environment, use modern slavery. I can't change that. So I simply buy selected gear that I think serves me best, and use it as good as I can, in the hope that later I can give something back to the world.

I'm still open to the Android platform, but I still haven't heard of a device/app combination that comes close to an iPad. Maybe next year.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

shimoda
Regular

Post by shimoda » 07 Jul 2012 13:38

Now that the iPad3 has come out, the 2s are $100 or more less than their newer counterparts and still the choice for lots of things. I'd actually be cool with a second. As far as Android, don't really know much. I have problems with Apple's use of proprietary controllers, overzealous control of data, and lack of transparent file control. The benefits: rock solid system for apps that has almost no problems, core midi has helped quite a bit. What I would love would be Apple authorized osc/midi over usb that I don't have to jailbreak for(which I am considering). All the anti/pro Apple stuff, well Apple is just the company for now, it was Microsoft and now plenty of people are cheering for Microsoft to 'come back', it will soon be Google, fast becoming the next Microsoft/Apple (really already are and dominate data storage like noone's business).

The new Surface looks pretty sweet though and if it's reasonably priced with a bigger screen would be a nice addition. However, the apps are the thing. If some of the best stuff isn't available for it, as is the case with lots of stuff for now, then I'll wait. Hell, I have lots of other things I'd rather have first: studio monitors, iconnect, Hammond B-3, Fender Rhodes (to replace the one I stupidly sold), some sort of Moog (to replace the MG-1 I also stupidly sold!).

dsparkman

Post by dsparkman » 17 Jul 2012 05:00

I have used both Linux OS (Ubuntu Studio) and Windows XP and 7 to run DAW software. I MUCH prefer the availability of software for Windows. Granted, I have a bias against Apple products due to the company's incessant proprietary state of mind (the only time I enjoyed my iPod was when I used Linux to work around all the stupid iTunes security crap). Way back in 1990, I actually used a Mac Classic with a Passport MIDI interface as a performance sequencer. There is no doubt that Android systems vary from device to device, but that is a the result of the idea that personal devices should not be limited. iPads are marvelous devices: cute, pretty, nearly idiot-proof. But apparently Apple's determination to encourage its customers to replace products at least once every year or two is more important than the customers themselves. The problem with Android licensing is that they license to virtually any company that is willing to produce a tablet that runs the software. And, as has been pointed out by many, this results in inconsistent products, but the higher end products made by Asus and some others have very similar qualities. THESE should be the targets of the Lemur developers. I whole-heartedly agree that the Android OS should be standardized, but the fact stands that the end-user products running Android that are designed by high-end tablet manufacturers allow for such simple conveniences as standard USB connections and Secure Digital slots. Virtually no limits. Don't misunderstand. I would be happy enough with an iPad if Apple would pop in a native SD slot instead of making me BUY an iDock to "camera" converter.

Burtan

Post by Burtan » 23 Dec 2012 21:47

+1

zengel
Regular

Post by zengel » 24 Dec 2012 16:26

i both have a galaxy tab and an ipad 2.
i bought the Ipad only for the lemur app. i had one jazzmutant lemur since 2 month; but the sensitivity get lost on some part of the screen...un-usable anymore...rip...
i'm really happy with the ipad lemur app. but really , i would be more happy to buy one more on the android.
i have a galaxytab first generation with a custom rom and everything works good and up to date (with jelly bean). all app work
how does developpers do on android ?
ok, audio latency is a problem , but for the lemur...there is no audio latency.
start with griid for example...don't tell me that griid is to complicate to export on android. certainly less than lemur no ?

autisteraidedingue

Post by autisteraidedingue » 10 Apr 2013 23:52

+ 1 for me.

Actually I'm using Lemur app on an iPad3 (not mine, the one at my working place) which has in my opinion better reliability for multi-touch than the original Lemur hardware devices (which I'm a former user of).
But I'm not specially pro-Apple and own an Android device.
Apparently TouchOSC for Android was left behind by its developper, and the current version is a pain to customize, and you can't set up an ad-hoc network so easily, and blah blah blah ...
So despite the apparent difficulties of porting the wonderful Lemur app to Android, I feel (as a developper) that this is very possible and could run smoothly because no audio and multi-touch working very well with my Android device (at least with TouchOSC).

So ... any news about this ?
Hexler may have abandonned TouchOSC for Android because he was giving it for free and had no more motivation to work for free, which I can understand very well.
But I think we are a bunch willing to pay for being able to use Lemur on Android.
Moreover, I must confess this Apple supremacy on OSC multi-touch control apps makes me a bit ... disappointed, to keep polite :)

Cheers, and keep up the good work, I'm already very happy to be able to use it at work ... but I would have preferred an Android version to the ipad-embedded edition ability or the new layouts, which I find more secondary.
Sorry for Apple fans.

Thanks for reading,
Joseph

marduk

Post by marduk » 15 Apr 2013 00:17

Just registered to say hi and make a +1 to this wishlist. And rant a little.
I mean what's the whole point of complaining about the need for support on plaethora of sub-par Android devices when we all know, that sub-par devices are not going to be used in this context? When someone actually buys a €50 Android 2.0 device and then complains about (any) stuff, then... well, you had it coming!

Just make it work with the latest and greatest and everyone would be happy campers indeed!
Hell, one could even have a tiny print on the download page that says "Android 4.0 +" or "ARMv7 +"