iPad time access

Send us your feedback or ask for features.
analog604
Regular
iPad time access

Post by analog604 » 18 Apr 2012 13:08

In working on a project where it will be required to synchronize many iPads to be on the same Lemur time,
I was wondering if we could have access to a function that sync'd frames on all units based upon occasional input
from a master timing iPad.
I know that we have access to midi_timer[] already and MIDI can listen for (F8) ticks, but given that there is not
access to a sub-16ms timer I really don't know how to accurately sync several Lemurs. Ideas here most appreciated guys! :)

Also it would be great to have a built-in variable that provides iPad system time/date to the finest granularity available.

(And data entry via the standard iPad built-in screen keyboard pop up and via system Bluetooth/USB connected HID would be nice)

cheers~
Jay
Dashboard gear control templates: User 112 Idx :: LModIt Lite :: SVG image converter for Lemur Canvas

Phil999
Regular

Re: iPad time access

Post by Phil999 » 18 Apr 2012 16:16

two iPads synced to a MIDI clock from a computer won't be in sync for a long time. That's what I found out using the app 'littlemidi' and an ad-hoc wireless network on a netbook. Maybe we get better precision with a better (faster) wireless network. With a wired MIDI connection it should be good, but I have only one such MIDI interface.

The iPads running Lemur should send position data to each other so that a possible drift can be corrected before it gets audible. Maybe 'Song Position', 'Timing Tick', or 'Active Sensing' can help in that regard, but I have not tried it out yet.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

analog604
Regular

Post by analog604 » 18 Apr 2012 19:47

Hi Phil,
thanks for your thoughts,
I've got to try the iPad sync via system realtime (start/continue/stop). I'll report back when I have something.
-J
Dashboard gear control templates: User 112 Idx :: LModIt Lite :: SVG image converter for Lemur Canvas

analog604
Regular

Post by analog604 » 23 Apr 2012 14:06

I've done allot of work with external BPM these past few days to sync two iPads (original and new iPad)
and know what you mean about the sync over wireless.

My workaround was to have an array of project BPMs that are used, and select one that is +/- 5 BPM after establishing
an averaged 'smoothed' MIDI clock ticks sent via Ableton.

All stop + start + continue MIDI realtime transport control also controlled by Ableton, and the template decodes 14-bit song position and can do something with it.

It's not too bad, even before the pre-defined project BPM sync.. but I had to make an elaborate mechanism to determine FPS and FPS smoothing on the iPads. After I get this project out, I'll put together a library/test app template for those interested.

But for now I am trying to get the time-correct nudge forward/back comm between iPads to make them more precise. This feels too much like real work!! :)

Still access to the iOS internal timer and clock could be useful for a variety of stuff.. please guys!?

cheers guys,
J

Phil999 wrote:two iPads synced to a MIDI clock from a computer won't be in sync for a long time. That's what I found out using the app 'littlemidi' and an ad-hoc wireless network on a netbook. Maybe we get better precision with a better (faster) wireless network. With a wired MIDI connection it should be good, but I have only one such MIDI interface.

The iPads running Lemur should send position data to each other so that a possible drift can be corrected before it gets audible. Maybe 'Song Position', 'Timing Tick', or 'Active Sensing' can help in that regard, but I have not tried it out yet.
Last edited by analog604 on 24 Apr 2012 01:16, edited 1 time in total.

Phil999
Regular

Post by Phil999 » 23 Apr 2012 14:53

good effort! Now if we only could have MIDI Time Code (MTC). All these problems would be wiped with one stroke. But I don't dare to make a feature request, the programmers of Lemur are already doing such a fine job.
Formant+Eurorack, PPG wave 2.2, Korg MS-20, etc., EWI 4000s, QuNeo, etc., Mixbus32c, u-he, MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, NI, etc., iPad2/4/Pro

Mia79

Post by Mia79 » 24 May 2014 18:48

+1 for MTC. Midi clock is pretty compromised for use with hw/sw combo setups unless your lucky enough to own an expensive hw solution. MTC has its drawbacks - no tempo info, still not sample accurate, but its usually much tighter than Midi clock. Nothing worse than Midiclock doing the jitterbug rerub of your material!