OSC over USB

Send us your feedback or ask for features.
AndersStig
OSC over USB

Post by AndersStig » 05 Apr 2012 16:24

I guess its up to the hardware makers (Apple) or jail breaking your device,
But standing on a stage with multiple wireless signals does pose some threat to an ad hoc WIFI connection.
I just always find WIFI to be a bit dodgy and I dont trust information that doesn't run through a cable 8-)

Any thoughts on this?
Is it possible?

A

cloud_canvas

Re: OSC over USB

Post by cloud_canvas » 16 Jul 2013 14:26

+1

From what I've researched thus far, OSC as a protocol is not inherently wireless, it just uses an address path format that is comparable to HTML. My understanding of the current state of the spec is that most of the time, a wired (or at least a closed-system, software-to-software within one computer) implementation of it still requires wrapping TCP/IP like string packets around an existing control signal (Serial, MIDI, what have you) - but I am not technical enough to comment on this, I just have knowledge of other wired OSC projects - Arduinome/Chronome (which requires Nomestate to translate Arduino serial into OSC) and OSCuino (which still doesn't really work, and uses SLIPSerial as its means of translation/message construction and transmission).

Still, some sort of precedent has already been set. I found this thread because I'm doing some testing work in-office and the company wireless is choking, so my interface controls are jumping around - ugh. It should not be that I can be plugged into an Alesis iO Dock and send USB MIDI just fine, but that I cannot do something similar with OSC - maybe not through the iO Dock, since it's that thing's job to mount to an iPad dock to translate relevant in-app MIDI messages to class-compliant MIDI messages over USB, so it would be on Alesis to make it send ANY kind of message over USB - but in principle the same level of connectivity should be allowable for either kind of message you'd like to send out of Lemur.

Being able to use ports other than 8000 only for sending would be cool too :)

amundsen
Regular

Post by amundsen » 26 Jul 2013 09:39

It appears that OSC trough USB is possible using myWi but only if your iOS machine is jailbroken.

http://intelliborn.com/mywi.html

cloud_canvas

Post by cloud_canvas » 13 Sep 2013 23:43

Update on what I previously said - https://github.com/monome/serialosc basically any existing instance of this concept to my knowledge (without a weirdly homebrew solution for jailbroken iOS devices) involves cloning the code base for serialOSC, which was specifically created for monomes, but doesn't have to be used in this way. Basically you launch a middleware application on your recipient computer which is a pseudo-server, plug the device in (I guess in this case it could hopefully be BOTH Camera Connection Kit AND/OR something like the iO Dock) and then the device gets acknowledged as a new address on this network.

Still not the kind of solution one would need... it would be awesome if there was some way to hijack iOS-side CoreMIDI compliancy to forward OSC bundles over USB. Or alternatively just manage this over the Lemur Daemon - in the same way that Keyboard/Mouse I/O is available alongside MIDI I/O, so too would individual OSC ports.

nick_liine
Liine Staff

Post by nick_liine » 27 Jan 2014 15:05

*** Try at your own risk! Liine does not officially endorse this solution! ***

Hey guys, I came across this one. Haven't tried it myself but looks like it could have potential:
http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/10/video-con ... easy-hack/

Best,
Nick

ruigato

Post by ruigato » 20 Apr 2014 17:26

i use a simpler way:

just start a personal hotspot from the iPad, sharing your cellular connection, and connect your iPad to the computer

beatpete
Regular

Post by beatpete » 23 Aug 2014 15:27

ruigato wrote:i use a simpler way:

just start a personal hotspot from the iPad, sharing your cellular connection, and connect your iPad to the computer
You have to have a 3g Ipad for this.
It's amazing that there isn't a solution for this without hacking, damn Apple anyways...

cloud_canvas

Post by cloud_canvas » 10 Dec 2014 01:06

Just wanted to profusely thank Nick and everyone else at Liine for adding this in a roundabout way by making the Android version and using tools like HorNDIS. We're using the Android version in-house like crazy and loving it. Hallelujah, OSC over USB!